fishfriendzzz

Crayfish resistant plants?

Hi all.

I have a tank set up (thankfully with lid!) with a number of blue and red claw crayfish, plus feeder fish. I've found the intelligence and outgoing nature of the crays can make them facinating to watch. Wherever possible I like to use live plants in my tanks. Unfortunately, the tendancy of crayfish to put anything that will fit in their mouths in their mouths has made this something of a challenge. Light stemmed things like elodia, foxtail and grasses generally end up as inch size floating debries pretty quickly. Even plants with woodier stems such as blue stricta rarely last long. As interesting as it is to watch a cray with a stem of blue stricta sitting and peeling it to get to the good stuff inside, it isn't quite what I'm going for. So, the multi million dollar question is, apart from plastic ones, are there any plants that are crayfish resistant, or at least fast enough growing to be able to survive the onslaught? I'm not counting floating things like duckweed or water lillies as I'd rather things with more body.

Cheers.

Yeah, I've seen them give plastic ones a damn good go too! I generally bunch my live plants with rubber bands. It's not uncommon to see a procession of crays having a pretty good go at these too though they generally give up once they've nibbled any algae/slime coat from them. Such special lil beasties! lol