grubby

My brine shrimp pond

Ok a few weeks ago I went to the Feburary ANGFA meeting and heard a superb presentation by Peter Johnson and Leo O'Reilly about culturing live food. Both talks were great and I learned an enormous amount.

Taking nothing away from Pete's excellent talk, it was Leo's talk really caught my imagination, it was on culturing your own brine shrimp as live food. Seeing as you can't buy adults anymore, I thought I would give it a go. I started with a 120 litre black bin from bunnings, to which I filled with water and added 10 kg of pool salt to, some epsom salts, a half a bag of coral rubble and some rooster booster. And left to mature for a month. Now I have been feeding my Salvini fry on BBS all last week and tipping the tailings and unhatched eggs into the tub, which is now aerated with a sponge filter and feeding the shrimp on Spirulina powder and yeast. I have glass covering the tub and all is going well. I cannot get over the growth rate of these guys in just over a week. They reckon it will take three weeks to get some adults.

I have tried raising Daphnia in the past and always seem to have issues, they crash in the high temperatures of summer and you have to contend with Mozzie larvae which sends the wife spare and threatening to baygon the tub. I don't have this hassle now with BBS. Give it a go.

ps I haven't told about saltwater mosquitos, but I doubt we get them in Forest Lake. Photos to follow this afternoon.

some epsom salts, a half a bag of coral rubble and some rooster booster.

I'd like to give it a go.

How scientific do I have to be with the Epsom salts & rooster booster?How much is some?

& can you give us the spirulina/yeast mix recipe too please?

Thanks

Since you are breeding them in salt water, can you feed them to fresh water fish like tetras, and dwarf gourami

Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_218 using Tapatalk

Yeah, just net them and add to fresh water to feed. I drain my hatchery directly into my Salvini fry tank as I am using magnetic eggs in the small hatchery after I have removed the shells, the amount of salt that I am adding to the tank is minimal. I am going to try decapsulting with bleach tonight and feed the decapsulated cysts to my fry as they are the most potent without the shell and before they hatch.

I don't remember the amount of epsom salts to 120 litres, I got it from the net, but forgot where. Easy to find the proportions on the net and scale up. The rooster booster I added about a table spoon and the coral will be enough to keep a buffer for the PH and the hardness. I add a tespoon of Spirulina a day and I have mixed yeast through the spirulina packet, so I guess the yeast might be at .5 % to the spirulina. When the water is clear is when you feed them. They are growing like mad in there. I reckon in three weeks I should have adults. This is so much easier than Daphnia.

Donny where do you get Triops from ? Is this for food or as pets ?

They will start as pets, and then become food.

I have collected them from the wild many times BUT this time I will likely just use a packet of 'billabong bugs' sand/egg.

Have one somewhere in the fish shed, from years ago

prob terrible hatch rate but I dont need many to get the ball rolling.

Happy to give you some to try out if I get a colony going.

its like feeding fish those silverfish things lol

Can i grow them in a 1x1 cube

yes

most commercial sea monkey homes are smaller than that.

Since you are breeding them in salt water, can you feed them to fresh water fish like tetras, and dwarf gourami

yes.

All brine shrimp are bred in saltwater

hence the brine part of the name.

Cant think of a single fish species that doesnt eat them.

If you haven't done it before try using two coke bottles and air stone cut one in half and the bottom off the other

Look just go on UTube and type in raise brine shrimp it will show ya step by step it's easy man if I can do it anyone can hahahaha

It's awesome for feeding fry it's the best start in life for fish IMO

These critters look amazing Donny.

wait until you stumble upon a shallow dried depression in the desert with a few hundred billion of them in it.

rotting in the sun

a slight breeze picks up

blowing the same way you have to walk back to the car

a walk of about 7km

I literally had to abandon my clothes

the smell man, it like filled the sweat

I consider it a feat worthy of entrance to any possible heaven that we rescued a turtle from that hell

and released in an hours drive away in a dam.

I dont know if jesus would have brought it into his car

even if the bucket did have a lid on it.

but yea when alive these triop things are very cool to watch.

remind me of things you see in fossils hey

worth noting that they only exist in water where there are no fish

goes to show that they make a decent treat for them!

Or could you maybe do a short step by step with measurements and stuff

Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_218 using Tapatalk

Yeah I could.......................................................................................................................... nah.

[MENTION=11971]shakey2277[/MENTION] just type in Brine Shrimp Hatchery, or Hatching BBS or basically anything BBS or Brine Shrimp in the forum search bar, there's heaps of threads on hatching, growing, feeding BS or BBS. Should get heaps of ideas from a few old threads. It's pretty easy & THE BEST food for not just fry but adults aswell. I feed all my tanks bar my Trophs with live BBS & you see the fish literally light up with excitement. My Callochromis Pleurospilus Flame Rainbows shimmer when they realise there's BBS in the tank & my Nigripinnis get all excited & their blue fins double in brightness, it's so cool to watch :D