Obeice

Using water from a water tank

So i want to use the water from my rain water tank it's made of poly, what i'm wondering is aftwr i fill the tanks and adjust the ph is there any other conditioning that would be required? I was thinking of dosing it with prime as well, as i'm about to fill me breeding rack 3500ltrs and i've never used tank water before, it would suck to only do the basic water parameter checks and have something else be wrong. Thanks for the help

I've seen you advertising for African colonies, so you will need to add buffers and trace elements to your rainwater when doing water changes, even more so if you decide to go with the frontosa. I also run all my water change water, tap and rainwater, through a UV steriliser before it goes into my system.

Cheers, Doug

Chemical residues, monoxide residues (& other nasties from car pollution) can settle on your roof then be washed into your rainwater tank in high population/traffic areas I've been informed so SupaChlor or Prime ALWAYS...

UV sterilizer is a great idea too Doug, could be some nasty lil critters/spores in there?

Edited by BigPete86

I add some easylife.

Does a good job of removing toxins and adding minerals.

How it does so is complicated.

But using it is simple.

For africans, coral sand under 2 years old does an excellent job.

Still does alright after that, but loses a lot of its punch.

For Tangs, adding some KH buffer or even special rift lake salts is a good idea.

As you dont get much breeding using soft water like rainwater.

And they dont tend to live as long.

Although whether you care about your fish living 15 years really comes down to the individual I spose.

6 years is usually enough for most people.

I've seen you advertising for African colonies, so you will need to add buffers and trace elements to your rainwater when doing water changes, even more so if you decide to go with the frontosa. I also run all my water change water, tap and rainwater, through a UV steriliser before it goes into my system.

Cheers, Doug

Yes you have doug we were only chatting a couple days ago, i'm actually taking the water from my mates rain water tank and transporting it via ibc which i borrowed from my lfs all because i'm a tight ass and don't wanna pay the water bill for an extra 3500 ltrs this quater lol... Thanks heaps for the advice everyone.

[MENTION=9246]Donny@ageofaquariums[/MENTION] i'll be down in 2 weeks when i get home from work to grab a couple things to assist me with this :)