BigRock

Foai cape kabogo starting to colour

only 2 pics of the foai I bought off JB but they are nice clear ones, (I like the front on pic) didn't manage to get any pics the 2 times his fins turned black and he's the only male from the 12 :/ spewin!!! 3pics after the first two are of a couple of my ruziba males which I think I may have posted b4, not sure!! JB still chasing that extra male or two if you got em?? pm'd you with no reply m8

post-6454-14711631178458_thumb.jpg

post-6454-14711631177701_thumb.jpg

post-6454-14711631177841_thumb.jpg

post-6454-14711631178013_thumb.jpg

post-6454-14711631178166_thumb.jpg

good stuff T, good to read you are still online

oh i'll be around for a long while yet ;) all my haters wouldn't know what to do without me :drum: lol , even the mods and admins would be bored, right fellas :boink: who would they have to slap infractions on; :banplease: haha :bolt:

Cheers Ian

Hey champ,

Oops sorry I read it at work and got side tracked and forgot to come back an reply :( All good. I've still got those 18 fry that I kept for myself growing up. They can't be far off showing some colours. I'll keep some males for you! They are probalby getting close to 8cm total size. How big is that male of yours?

How convinced are you there is only 1M :) I thought I had only 1M from my Kapampa but now I have 4 that they have put on some size. Got my first mouthful the other day but let her do her own thing. They were gone within two days.

Loving the amount of copper colour coming through on that male of yours!

Cheers,

JB

hey jase, no probs let me know when your down this way or when I can come up and grab a male or two. Pretty sure its just one male, he's 8-9cm tops, the rest are close to that size and all lookin female, heres 2 pics of them near the male,took these a couple weeks b4 he coloured up for the pics above but they ofcourse haven't grown much since then and all still lookin like girls. At this size if colour isn't for some reason showing on males then their ventral fins should be atleast long enough to be slightly overlapping/passing the front of their anal fins, all these have ventrals that don't even make it to the anal fin so yeh pretty sure their girls, all but the smallest one who is super agro and does displays that the females dont do etc so that's possibly a second male but I think that would be it at best and the rest female. And yeh im liking the copper he's putting out too ;) nice fish, their a bit skittish compared to the ruziba, but still, their just awesome lookin featherfins, stoked I got some off ya ;) lets see some pics of those kapampa jase :flame: should sell me a trio :boink: lol ;

post-6454-14711631186462_thumb.jpg

post-6454-14711631186179_thumb.jpg

post-6454-14711631186326_thumb.jpg

I was feeding these the ruziba on NEW ERA RIFTLAKE GREEN and NEW ERA ALGEA FLAKES but I find theres pro's and cons to even new era as there is with all foods but worst con of new era is the price, esp the flake which they put f-all into the container! so anyway they have been doing Quite well on that HBH 8veg flake for the past two months. I know they need more, esp in regards to getting females ripe etc and will try them on some green prawn and spinach again soon, they kinda cherry picked it last time but i had more spawns going on than I do now. Hoping to soon start a thread about these fish and their feeding and care, want to share my ways of housing and feeding featherfins and hoping to hear how other keepers house and feed these fish and learn more about them, they have been my fave fish since the start and ive kept them for most of the 20+ years ive been in this hobby and ive learnt one thing for certain, and that is you cant know or learn enough about any fish, even the ones you keenly keep for decades ;) they continue to surprise you sometimes when you change something up in regards to their care etc! always makes me think, makes me hungry to know more about em.

Edited by BigRock

I was feeding these the ruziba on NEW ERA RIFTLAKE GREEN and NEW ERA ALGEA FLAKES but I find theres pro's and cons to even new era as there is with all foods but worst con of new era is the price, esp the flake which they put f-all into the container! so anyway they have been doing Quite well on that HBH 8veg flake for the past two months. I know they need more, esp in regards to getting females ripe etc and will try them on some green prawn and spinach again soon, they kinda cherry picked it last time but i had more spawns going on than I do now. Hoping to soon start a thread about these fish and their feeding and care, want to share my ways of housing and feeding featherfins and hoping to hear how other keepers house and feed these fish and learn more about them, they have been my fave fish since the start and ive kept them for most of the 20+ years ive been in this hobby and ive learnt one thing for certain, and that is you cant know or learn enough about any fish, even the ones you keenly keep for decades ;) they continue to surprise you sometimes when you change something up in regards to their care etc! always makes me think, makes me hungry to know more about em.

Ruziba are all sorts of stunning...

Also i cant like your comment more than once, so true, its disheartening to meet people who think they know everything, and wont try new things..

I have been feeding my magara new era green aswell, they seem to really like it.., but mine are maybe a tad young, and are not housed ideally at the moment. (in with tropheus) In the past i have found sunlight, plus brine shrimp, gets them going fairly well.

Hey guys,

All mine get a mixture of new era green, NLS Thera A, OSI Spirulina Flake, Frozen Brine and Dapnia.

I'm really digging the copper colour coming through on that male of yours BigRock! He's going to be a cracker....

Just about to move my 14 Kapampa to a bigger tank. Will get some shots for you once they've settled in.

I'm thinking the kabogo can't be too far off showing some colour either.

Cheers,

JB

14? i reckon thats 1m and 2f too many jase :boink: lol. keep me in mind if you wanna part with a trio ;) I'd like to feed mine some brine etc but i had some trouble and bloat with the first few colonies i kept in melb, either fed too much (definitely didnt think i did though coz it was very sparingly) or the one that got bloat could of done what a lot of featherfin keepers and i myself believe can happen and that is one greedy fish maneges to guts out and take the majority of the brine somehow and simply ingests too much. The OSI i stay away from aswell coz i once tried some and 3days later had one bloat. Not 100% if it was the OSI but im blaming it anyway lol. I reckon sera flora is best (ravi stopped havin issues with wild caught F-fins when he just fed flora) and ive never had an issue with that either, nor had any issues when just feeding flake food on its own, flora, new era flake and HBH flake! I read a few good german threads about flake food being sufficient for these fish as the primary feed even the sole feed. Apparently the fish digest flake better than any other food, i tend to believe that. The riftlake green is top stuff i think, the fish like it but i thought it was bad on the water and when i stopped using it the waters been clearer for longer, even when i continued feeding new era flake. Only downside is the females take longer to come into condition, but thats good sometimes coz i also believe in the very arguable theory that ALL female fish(in captivity) can and do become spent if they are continually ripend for spawning by greedy keepers. In the case of frontosa Eric swore on that black and blue and he was a masterful Burundi breeder, all his females held full term and he had dozens ;

trofius i havent seen adult Magara in ages, spewin yours are juvies some pics woulda been sweet. Definitely would take em away from the tropheus m8 ;) i heard boops and most ventralis can hold their own against tropheus coz their more agro than furcifer and foai. Furcifer and foai definitely need to be boss of the tank if you want to see them really shine, and do what they do best, display like crazy!

Love these fish, ya just cant get a more dazzling and unique fish. Absolute sight to behold when they switch it on ay!

LOl my dominant male in my old magara colony would inhale a complete frozen cube of brine shrimp, never had any dramas, they got brine every 2-3 days.

Magara are old school but still one of the nicest..Ruziba would also be nice but have run out of room at the moment.

Foai males are dumb as ****, they continually run off chassing shadows and other fish while a ripe ready to go female sits in the nest just waiting... lol

young males are the worst..

I would agree the new era green does cloud the water more, i only use it every 2-3 days on tanks, thera A is still the staple on everything, ( lots of Trophs)

The plan with the foai is to remove the tropheus and add my Kileasa once they get a bit bigger,. should look pretty!.