Cudders

Are all small/nano/shrimp tanks created equal?

Hi gang,

Looking to start a small planted tank around 300mm wide for my (future) king betta. Unfortunately, there are literally hundreds of types and styles to choose from, with a HUGE price tag difference between them. They range from about $50 for a cheap ebay one all the way up to about $400 for seemingly the same product. Is it purely bragging rights or is it a better product/lighting/filter/glass?

I've had a look through threads for a similar topic, but with no luck.

In saying that, I'd rather pay more for a quality product, especially if its better quality glass. This will be my future pride and joy and my first born child.

Cheers,

Hi gang,

Looking to start a small planted tank around 300mm wide for my (future) king betta. Unfortunately, there are literally hundreds of types and styles to choose from, with a HUGE price tag difference between them. They range from about $50 for a cheap ebay one all the way up to about $400 for seemingly the same product. Is it purely bragging rights or is it a better product/lighting/filter/glass?

I've had a look through threads for a similar topic, but with no luck.

In saying that, I'd rather pay more for a quality product, especially if its better quality glass. This will be my future pride and joy and my first born child.

Cheers,

Hi Cudders. Multiple factors come into play. Primarily the quality of the equipment can drastically increase the cost of the setup.

One of the nicest setups for a freshwater nano in my opinion is the Eheim Aquastyle. We have one on display at the store and i have a 24l setup at home. The filtration and lighting are both made in germany and the plant growth we get from the lighting is incredible. link - Age of Aquariums - Eheim Aquastyle 24

The glass used to my knowledge is identical to a few other brands on the market but the equipment makes all the difference.

Ben

Hi Cudders. Multiple factors come into play. Primarily the quality of the equipment can drastically increase the cost of the setup.

One of the nicest setups for a freshwater nano in my opinion is the Eheim Aquastyle. We have one on display at the store and i have a 24l setup at home. The filtration and lighting are both made in germany and the plant growth we get from the lighting is incredible. link - Age of Aquariums - Eheim Aquastyle 24

The glass used to my knowledge is identical to a few other brands on the market but the equipment makes all the difference.

Ben

Thanks for the reply Ben.

If all glass offers the same clarity, would it be better search for a particular style and size that tickles my fancy, then get the equipment separately?

I guess one of the advantages of getting an "all-in-one" setup is that the design of the equipment is incorporated into the tank itself. Less farting around, trading off for a generic style.

Thanks for the reply Ben.

If all glass offers the same clarity, would it be better search for a particular style and size that tickles my fancy, then get the equipment separately?

I guess one of the advantages of getting an "all-in-one" setup is that the design of the equipment is incorporated into the tank itself. Less farting around, trading off for a generic style.

Their are different levels of clarity when it comes to glass such as low iron * most people refer to it as starphire * and so on.

We will have the low iron range of ADA tanks available from next month which are surprisingly good value for money considering the meticulous build quality and branding that is behind ADA. You could pickup an ADA cube from us for under $100.00 and deck it out out how you see fit. The store will look very different when ADA arrives.

Ben