th3f0rg0t3n

FLUVAL FX6 -- oh what a DRAMA

Ok guy's, well i have many fluval fx5's in service and currently just the 1 fluval fx6 + 1 brand new version still in box (after winning comp from AOA) : )

My fluval FX6 is nothing but a nightmare, its roughly 6months old and has been opened to clean / remove&replace purigen 3 times and everytime its been a drama,

THIS TIME, the canister would not start, so i made a huge mess unplugging the beast to re check everything was OK filled back up plugged in and yep still NOT RUNNING

I took it apart AGAIN, removed the motor/impeller to find it was clear of any grime & certainly did not have any gravel/media/sand or such in it,

I then put it back together again, turned it on, and HOORAY it kicked into life BUT and its a big BUT, this bloody motor is working but now buzzing along.....noisy as all heck.

thats my rant.

I would NEVER buy another fluval filter, sorry boy's but that's just it... i've had COUNTLESS problems with fx5's and now the fx6,

I've just removed the motor again, checked my assembly with the impeller/motor it was all SPOT ON and its still making this buzzing fuzzy sound..

I will leave this canister running until tomorrow at some stage, in which i will contact my LFS about replacement and ill hook up my FREE fx6 courtesy of BEN @ AOA,

I will keep you updated if this TERRIBLE sound of the motor buzzing along does stop between now and then :frusty:

Yeah i too have a flaw-less fx5 rob that has been faithful and running for 7+ years now, its not quite 10 but yeah i cannot fault that unit..

But i have had 2 fx5's replaced under warranty issues alongside that faithful unit, so i have had my own fair share of bad experiences with the fx5 too, i know they can be both good&bad.

That's terrific jacob, I wish you the best of luck with your fx6's - stopping them to clean/service is clearly going to be dependant on stocking of that actual tank bigger fish = bigger bio-loads.

Yep don't even get me started on these POS filters, I've always had eheim's but decided to give the new fluval a go but won't ever buy one again had exactly the same problem with it to the point where I would spend hours and hours over consecutive days trying to get it to start filtering again properly by that time all the bacteria was gone, I could have taken it back maybe but thought I'll fix it good and got my 10tonne excavator out and ran this piece of **** over hahaha then went out the next day and got another eheim

My wife tells me I might have gone a bit overboard but I don't think so

Iv had the same issue with my fx6.

I post a thread on here asking for help and @th3fOrgOt3n notified me of a issue I would never of thought of.

The next night the filter turned off again but I was unaware until the next morning before leaving for work.

Obviously I couldn't just leave it, so i started to think of what it could be. I cleaned everything made sure nun of the pipes had any blockages ect, ended up replacing the cheap $20 power board with a $70 Jackson power board.

I haven't had another problem. But it's only been 3 days.

On a unrelated topic I let someone see my blue dolphin breeders today and they got to close to the tank spoked them and the dominant male smashed into some holy rock and broke his back

Devo never again:(

Pretty stressful week, Sorry for hijacking the thread

Rant over..

Ok guy's, well i have many fluval fx5's in service and currently just the 1 fluval fx6 + 1 brand new version still in box (after winning comp from AOA) : )

My fluval FX6 is nothing but a nightmare, its roughly 6months old and has been opened to clean / remove&replace purigen 3 times and everytime its been a drama,

THIS TIME, the canister would not start, so i made a huge mess unplugging the beast to re check everything was OK filled back up plugged in and yep still NOT RUNNING

I took it apart AGAIN, removed the motor/impeller to find it was clear of any grime & certainly did not have any gravel/media/sand or such in it,

I then put it back together again, turned it on, and HOORAY it kicked into life BUT and its a big BUT, this bloody motor is working but now buzzing along.....noisy as all heck.

thats my rant.

This is the first problem I have heard of with an FX6

They have been having a dream run.

Might have jinxed yaself with the reach around post lol

Sure you will get it working well man.

They aint so bad to trouble shoot these fx6's

Edited by Donny@ageofaquariums

I am probably not coming from a position of authority as I only just set one up, but I love my new FX6 so far. Took about 10 minutes to set it up and get running. Heaps of flow, nice and quiet, quality fittings and workmanship. Would have to be the most solid, best designed filter i've seen in my short time as an aquarium buff!

This is the first problem I have heard of with an FX6

They have been having a dream run.

Might have jinxed yaself with the reach around post lol

Sure you will get it working well man.

They aint so bad to trouble shoot these fx6's

I'm quite shocked about this issue donny, it's one TERRIBLE sound and its doing my head in as it sit to type this reply to you.

[MENTION=10961]M&J Fabulously Fish[/MENTION] , Glad to hear you gots yours working again, but at any time was it making a very loud buzzing sound when it actually was working ? im un-sure of what it could actually be..

make no mistake this filter is pumping water, its just the loudest thing in my house and is head-ache worthy!

I'd imagine if you had that under warranty you would have had that issue resolved though ?

My fx6 is in my lounge-room and is driving us crazy, i've made contact with the sales rep and intend to have this matter sorted sooner rather than later.

Another attempt this morning at removing the motor/impeller inspecting the impeller, made sure the magnet was against the flange bushing in its correct seat,

& now i will wait 2-3weeks until the rep is able to inspect this issue. FANTASTIC

Time to install my FREEBIE fx6 onto the tank using pre-existing sponges/media/baskets so im able to keep beneficial bacteria in action.

I'm sorry but this is why i will never buy a Fluval. I certainly don't want to offend happy owners as i know there are plenty out there who have had good service from them but the frequency with which so many people have encountered issues is terrible. I don't mind the Fluval brand per se and have used their products myself (not any of the FX's) but i just see it time and again where FX5 owners end up with nothing more than an expensive bucket. Now it seems even the 6's are not immune to Fluval syndrome either.

Like i said, i know alot of people get great runs from them, but a hell of alot of others don't. For that kind of money it's not a gamble i'm prepared to take. I'll stick with what i know and trust. I use various Eheims, the oldest being 17 years and still in use now. Never had a problem or a failure or even had to replace a seal.

Might i ask what models in the eheim range would make a suitable replacement for the fx6 in terms of flow rate/media capacity/mechanical filtration??

I do realise the 2260 is a fine option, but its a bit big bulky and not so user-friendly, but i do realise its trialled and proven. would prefer something i can take apart with ease to clean/service.

Oh the silence is bliss, thanks to ben [MENTION=2383]ageofaquariums[/MENTION] for the FX6 i won in the competition,

- I removed the broken noisy 6month old fx6 and have installed the silent brand new fx6 in it's place, 2-3weeks from now i should be able to get the older one sorted : )

Might i ask what models in the eheim range would make a suitable replacement for the fx6 in terms of flow rate/media capacity/mechanical filtration??

I do realise the 2260 is a fine option, but its a bit big bulky and not so user-friendly, but i do realise its trialled and proven. would prefer something i can take apart with ease to clean/service.

Really you're right. The only filter in the Eheim range that i know of with comparable flow rate is the 2260. With the backwash function and the efficiency of their operation i find i don't have to pull any of the 22's apart very often, maybe once every six months, so the maintenance side of things never bothers me. For myself when i'm looking at achieving that much flow i usually prefer to go a two canister setup which opens up a swath of options in the Eheim range, most of which are very easy to access for maintenance.

I certainly understand the appeal of the FX's but just the frequency i see of people having dramas with them really puts me off.

Hopefully your shiny new one will go gang busters for years to come and it's problem solved.

Edited by beencees
typo

Really you're right. The only filter in the Eheim range that i know of with comparable flow rate is the 2260. With the backwash function and the efficiency of their operation i find i don't have to pull any of the 22's apart very often, maybe once every six months, so the maintenance side of things never bothers me. For myself when i'm looking at achieving that much flow i usually prefer to go a two canister setup which opens up a swath of options in the Eheim range, most of which are very easy to access for maintenance.

I certainly understand the appeal of the FX's but just the frequency i see of people having dramas with them really puts me off.

Hopefully your shiny new one will go gang busters for years to come and it's problem solved.

There is a pump mod you can do to the 2260 to get more flow, after the mod it will crush the fx5 in the flow department.

The only canisters I ever ran were Fluval 404 and 405. The 404 ran for over 9 years with no issues, and still went strong when I replaced it with the 405. And the 405 was going strong with no issues when I sold it. But they are relatively small filters compared to the fx

It doesnt matter what canister you sell, customers will still have problems with them.

If air powered sponge filters weren't so ugly and had good mechanical filtration.......... there would be no need for canister filters.

But they are and they dont.

Anyone with an fx6 having drama who would like to do a straight swap with one of my FX5 that have run for over 5 years with never a drama, shoot me a pm!

Looking forward to having a crack with one of these :D

How is it we can send a man to the moon but still have problems making filters

Yeah it does fascinate me all a canister consists of is a blow moulded plastic container that has to seal and a pump.

However if anything gets into the impeller housing it can do some damage, would be interesting to know if that is the case or if the pumps are just failing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk