Gazzdogdiddy

What fish for breeding in a planted tank?

Hey guys

Some useful background info, I have had a 2ft planted tank running for around a year and a half and was breeding guppies before I decided to get more fish and bought 5 rams and 16 rummy nose tetras. (At the time there were over 40 guppies) now over the past year all the fish have been dying off until the 4 tetras I have now. The substrate is play sand and the ph always drops to around 6.3. I have been pretty lazy with water changes and usually do one every 3 or so weeks. --------->Would this be the cause of the deaths?<---------The plants at one stage looked awesome and were growing so fast I would have to trim once every 2-3 days also their were a variety of plants. Now the plants kinda just survive and slowly grow and most of the plants are java fern. Now I have decided since the plants now aren't the main feature I am going to try and re aquascape and breed some kind of fish.

SO what I created the thread for in the fist case was to ask what fish would be fairly easy to breed and would not do too much damage to the plants (up rooting)? Also if you do know of the fish could you tell me how you would breed them.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If it is going to be to hard to find fish to breed in a planted tank I may just revert back to a normal cichlid tank.

Regards

Gary

2ft x? x?

Volume dictates a lot mate. There's a few small species that breed well in planted tanks but first things first; volume/tank size? Filtration? How much maintenance are you willing to do? Once every 3 wks in a 2fter basically means a single pair of fish then when they do breed, bioload of the bubs (waste production) goes through the roof which means more maintenance...

Sounds like overstocking & not enough maintenance were causes of death but need more info...

Well the tank is 60 cm by 29 wide by 36 high i am willing now to do water changes every week or more if necessary the tank previously had just been neglected as was focusing on other things. Filtration is an internal filter running at 500 Lph and I have a heap of aeration by a air pump. And it couldn't have been over stocking since I took the guppies out and the fish kept on dying. Before I planted this tank I had a it running with a sponge filter and was breeding Kribensis.

In a tank like that I have a dream.

Check out filinentosa. Known as the checkerboard cichlid. They don't look like much in images but they are a beautiful fish in person

I highly i reccomend them and they are not a large and destructive cichlid. Just something a little dofferent

Sent from my phone with a 5 min battery life

Well the tank is 60 cm by 29 wide by 36 high i am willing now to do water changes every week or more if necessary the tank previously had just been neglected as was focusing on other things. Filtration is an internal filter running at 500 Lph and I have a heap of aeration by a air pump. And it couldn't have been over stocking since I took the guppies out and the fish kept on dying. Before I planted this tank I had a it running with a sponge filter and was breeding Kribensis.

At best that tank is 60L then take out volume for internal filter, substrate, wood & whatever else is in there, doesn't leave much water for 5x rams & 16x rummys. A 50% wc once every wk would have only just kept that under control, MAYBE, that's including nitrate reduction via plant growth (btw I assumed you removed guppies otherwise things would have probably dropped off a lot quicker). Plants were growing so fast because of the massive buildup of waste from so many fish in so lil water.

General rule of thumb for a 20-30% wc per wk or 50% per fortnight is 2L of water per 1cm of fish.

Let's say 5x rams at 5cm ea = 25cm, 16 rummys at 4cm ea = 64cm, way, way overstocked for a <60L tank mate. If you tested Nitrates in that tank they would of been off any test scale, by a long way.

I've got 40-50 baby convicts (bout 60-70cm worth of fish atm & growing) in a larger than avg 2ft (90L) & they require at least 2x 40% wc per wk, sometimes 3...

That tank fully stocked would be 1x pair of rams & 6x rummys. Then you could get away with maintenance once every couple of wks.

I'll tell you the same thing I tell all beginners, more water volume = more room for mistakes & laziness. Small tanks require more work & a closer eye (get a master test kit to start with). Nitrates must be kept below 40ppm for long term health of your fish, I keep mine below 20ppm...

As for fish to breed in a 2ft planted, Sparkling Gourami are my favourites. Tricky to breed but so worth it, they are stunning lil critters. If I had easy access to soft water I'd still be breeding them.

Others include Rams (blue, gold, Bolivian), Apistogramma (another sp that I'd still be breeding if I had soft water, specifically Agassizii fire reds, gorgeous fish, another favourite I've bred only just behind the sparklings cause the sparkling gourami croak when excited & courting). There's a couple to research & see what you think.

Thank you very much big Pete for the info

My friend has told me about killifish and I think I might breed them but the sparkling gourami sound interesting. I will defiantly have to get a master test kit and I had no idea I had over stocked the tank that much. I have a lot of black water and the ro water is pretty soft from what I know.

In that case I have an African tank which is 3x2x2 and It holds just over 300 L I just swapped my older adult Africans for 28 smaller juveniles would this be too much since ATM I only have a eheim 2213 external canister and one internal 800lph running on the tank. They all seem fine and look awesome I have calcium carbonate gravel so it buffers thou for me.

Thanks again for the help

Regards

Gary

Thank you very much big Pete for the info

My friend has told me about killifish and I think I might breed them but the sparkling gourami sound interesting. I will defiantly have to get a master test kit and I had no idea I had over stocked the tank that much. I have a lot of black water and the ro water is pretty soft from what I know.

In that case I have an African tank which is 3x2x2 and It holds just over 300 L I just swapped my older adult Africans for 28 smaller juveniles would this be too much since ATM I only have a eheim 2213 external canister and one internal 800lph running on the tank. They all seem fine and look awesome I have calcium carbonate gravel so it buffers thou for me.

Thanks again for the help

Regards

Gary

Happy to help mate :D

Killifish are a good option.

Lots of variety of colours, a few members on here pop up with killifish every now & then. Put up a Want To Buy ad in the trader section once you figure out what you're after.

As for the African tank, 28 juvies @ 6cm or less will be happy with approx 25% wc a wk or 50% per fortnight but this is only a general guide. It not only depends on stocking levels & size of fish but feeding regime/frequency. That's why I suggest the test kit, that way you can monitor nitrate buildup vs feeding frequency & adjust your water change schedule accordingly. If you write things down & keep track you can get it down to a science ;) Also, if ever a problem arises you can also test for cycle failures, then monitor for ammonia levels & nitrite levels to come back to 0, (accidental kill off of bacteria through a "woopsy" such as leaving a canister off by accident or kill off from meds are usually the causes).

Those filters should be fine, a lil low on flow & therefore particle pickup but the most important thing is biological filtration. Bits of detritus can be sucked out with water changes. The 2213s are pretty small I think, maybe fill it completely with ceramic rings or even better, marinepure spheres or apparently the eheim stuff is awesome too, mixture of 2 or all if you just need a bit more bio media to top it off then there'll be enough surface area for bacteria to grow & consume the waste, I wouldn't worry bout sponges in the canister, just pack it with high surface area biological media.

Just don't over feed, twice a day is good, make sure no leftovers sitting on the bottom, only what they'll eat in a few minutes. You can feed more often but not only does that mean faster growth but more waste, which is more maintenance. The internal I'd use as mechanical filtration, water polishing sponge or pads or Dacron or chemical filtration if you wanted to go down that path.

If you wanted a really busy tank with 28 full grown Africans (I'm assuming peacocks & smaller haps maybe? Nothing that gets bigger than 12-15cm) you could keep 28 in that tank & it'll look great but... maintenance would have to be frequent & monitored as they grow & I would recommend adding another canister (bigger than 2213) for extra flow & more room for media & sponges for particle pickup. Also if there's females in there that can crossbreed with other species/types be sure to keep track of what's what & be responsible & honest if selling. If there are females, depending on what types of fish are in there, there could be aggression & fighting between males.

Sorry for the bombardment of info lol

In a tank like that I have a dream.

Check out filinentosa. Known as the checkerboard cichlid. They don't look like much in images but they are a beautiful fish in person

I highly i reccomend them and they are not a large and destructive cichlid. Just something a little dofferent

If you are wondering about these, they are correctly spelled Dicrossus filamentosus and are a blackwater species meaning low ph, no hardness and immaculate water quality. Would not recommend these unless you have the time to keep the water spot on, alot like other Apisto/dwarves from south america.

In my experience they are not as fussy as mentioned. Just keep up with regular tank maintenance, and basically act like they are miniature discus. Not fussy just intolerant of poor water conditions.

Keep them happy and they will breed

Thank you guys for the info guys

The African tank seems pretty full already I am pretty sure most of the fish are males but any that aren't I will probably swap. I have been aiming to get a new canister for a while but don't much have much money as I am a young fella. But aqua holiday is having their sale on the bio pro uvf-1800 canister filter. Biopro External Aqurium Canister Filter 1800 UVF Aquarium Products Is this any good?

And you are right the fish seem happy since the canister is filled with one sponge filter pad and the rest is eheim ceramic ball things. But I do get junk floating in the water and some algae growth :(.

I joined the Australian killifish forum and hope to get some killifish soon.

Regards

Gary