RachelChum

AquaOne glass heaters

Hi all,

Just wondering roughly what the life expectancy is of an AquaOne 200w glass heater? I have only had it installed for around a month and everything is great, I was just curious as to how long they typically last for.

Thanks in advance :)

If you remove it from the tank after this winter season passes, consider its life close to over,

If it lasts from now until next winter still working you are doing well,

Generally I did personally try a few of these before giving them away to mates, but the thermostats don't seem very accurate given time, I had to set them 2-6 degree's above what i needed.

Just be sure to leave it inside the tank even during the warmer months, and monitor the heat of the tank with something accurate to keep track of what it's actually doing.

It can be the luck of the draw with cheaper stuff, I've had an aqua one filter running for 5 years with no problems and I've heard of people not even getting a year out of one? you can buy those digital thermometers , just stick one of them on the side of the tank.

Heaters are one item you really want to be able to count on to do the job reliably.

Aqua One, not the most reputable brand but as stated, luck of the draw. You can get lucky.

Personally i would rather spend more and have a product i know i can count on for many years. How much will it cost to replace your livestock if it fails?

You are asking the question because you want to reduce your risk. There are a few good ways that you can do this.

You could get a second heater and have it in the tank and set it for a few degrees less than the main one so if the main one fails the temp does not drop too much.

The problem with the above scenario is that it is good if fails and the temp drops - it does not fix the situation if the heater fails and cooks and temp gets too high.

The other alternative would be to have a second heater on hand and not just get a digital temperature thermometer but get one with an alarm that if it falls to low the alarm goes off or if it goes too high the alarm goes off. We decided to get some in for this particular reason and we are not the only ones that do them - they are available at a lot of LFS. Still it does not totally remove the risk as you need to be home but it will reduce it significantly. To totally remove the risk can come at a significant cost. The other thing I like about the digital thermometer with the alarm is that it will also tell you if your heater is just not big enough as in winter or those really cold mornings which is usually round the 4-5am mark it will show that the tank has gone too low. You generally do not check your tank temps that early in the morn and on really cold days.

Edited by The Tech Den