post-2635-14711631238485_thumb.jpgI got a pair of snowflakes from Peter at Photon Flakes Clownfish, unfortunately they jumped out overnight through a crack in the lid. Upon hearing this, Peter offered to replace them when I have a new tank set up that is more secure. He has an amazing set up and he's a great guy. These are the first designer clowns bred in Australia. I got my new pair last night and they are beautiful. They have settled in very nicely and have coloured up well. These photos don't do them justice but it's the best I could get, they move so quickly!

post-2635-14711631238636_thumb.jpg

post-2635-14711631238782_thumb.jpg

post-2635-14711631238954_thumb.jpg

post-2635-14711631239199_thumb.jpg

Edited by mthom211

Not much to me, but its in the eye of the beholder I guess. I'd rather platinum. There's a company in the USA that breeds clowns and has diff variations but i forget which atm. I found this for ref...

post-5418-14711631242226_thumb.jpg

I find it pretty easy to tell the difference between the two, the Picasso clowns have much smoother lines is how I would explain it I guess. The edges of the snowflakes bars are more uneven and splotchy. The occelaris that can look like Picasso clowns are the DaVinci and fancy white clowns.

Yea Peter is a total dude, and a very skilled aquarist.

People like him make the hobby.

Gotta give him kudos.

If they werent such jerks, the premnas morphs like lightning and peacekeepers would be my favourite. But once you factor in personality, you just cant beat snowflakes.

Thanks, what other designer clowns have been bred here previously?

The larger of the two clowns has been rubbing against the elegance, hopefully they are hosted by it.

It's open for the entire photoperiod however it closes up a lot at night :(

How long does it usually take them to move into a host?

totally random man

some times straight there.......... others they go to different corals/anemone

sometimes they swim around the surface, or hide in a corner.

no logic to the clown man

Oh sorry, I meant how long does it take them to build up a resistance to their host?

We've had a fair few clowns over the years of a few different species, very used to their idiosyncrasies :P

The strength of the sting is one factor, as is the mucus thickness.

If its strong it can take a while for them to risk more than a quick dash.

Then again is the anemone/corals mucus layer is really thick, that makes it easier for the clown to achieve a measure of security from the stings.

Some clowns have an affinity to a certain anemone species. Often it takes them less time to develop a resistance, when placed with their nature habitat favored anemone species.

A cop out answer again I know...........

But its hard to give a simple answer to a simple question sometimes.

I need a complicated question, with details of the very fish and anemone/coral involved.

Otherwise too many variables to consider, to be able to give a simple answer....... like the time it takes.

e115a96d7370e0b7aaf6b55fceb7544e_zps584fe5ef.jpg

Any idea for my particular case (occelaris and elegance)?

They haven't been around the elegance today :( I hope they go back to it soon. If they don't, they sure would look nice in my hammers, I have purple and green so far with an orange coming sometime soon!

I bought a pair of fancy whites a few years back from a breeder in sheldon which are breeding now. I have also have a Picasso x Platinum pair breeding for about a 1.5 years now. I have been a bit disappointed with the young only getting about 2 a grade picasso per nest but a lot of other nice patterns as well.

I bought a pair of fancy whites a few years back from a breeder in sheldon which are breeding now. I have also have a Picasso x Platinum pair breeding for about a 1.5 years now. I have been a bit disappointed with the young only getting about 2 a grade picasso per nest but a lot of other nice patterns as well.

Oh cool! Do you have any pictures? And do you sell any of your offspring?

I only have a few phone photos, I am not really up with the picture thing on computers, my kids would know but. I do sell a few clowns that i breed, i don't do it as a business just as a hobby that takes up a amazing amount of time. i have five pairs of clowns breeding at the moment but don't take all the nests as i just don't have the time. And there always seems to be some sort of drama usually just as you have to go to work. But i get a lot of satisfaction out of getting some fish threw, i have a pair that i bred breeding now which is a good result cheers Mark.