Sign in to follow this  
Craig Huckauff

Fluval FX5 external filter

Hello,

I was wondering what the best setup for the FX5 filter is? I have African Cichlids in a 800x1200x400 tank. Its on display as you you enter my home, so i would really love to build my filter the best i can that will last a while before i have to clean or change certain elements.

What media should i use from bottom / middle / top. I have had problems in the past with the filter stopping on a regular basis, at the moment i am running on ceramic rings/noodles, bio balls, and the supplied filter pads.

The water is not clear anymore?? I have used macropore and that seemed to help quite a lot, but i was wondering is there any other methods to keep the water healthy, crystal clear for my fish.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot

Craig

The outer sponges that come stock with an FX5 are dam good mechanical filtration media....... for a canister!

If they are starting to lose some spring to them, it might be worth changing out 1 each clean with a new one.

Otherwise the adition of a wave maker or powerhead can really help get larger particles off the bottom and into the canister filter.

Also a good backup oxygenator if you dont want to use an airpump.

Macropore is good, chemi pure is even better....... but its a one use product. I usually choose the amount of chemical media, based on how frequently I clean my cannister.

If you clean your canister every 2 months anyway, a 1kg bag of pellet carbon ($10) does a pretty decent job.

Really digging the marine pure balls inside FX5's as you maintain almost all your flowrate, and still get total over kill on your biological filtration.

bit of an investment but probably the best upgrade I have done on mine yet.

Thanks mate,

The outer sponges are still in very good condition, never really heard of wave makers or powerheads, but if you think that will help keep the bottom cleaner ill defiantly look into it. Will they move the sand or just the loose particles laying on top? Sorry if that is a stupid question haha, i really just want to create the best environment i can for them :)

My tank has a air filter that shoots along the bottom, but the fish love to cover the holes up by moving the sand around, so i have a air stone in there to help oxygenate the water.

Yes i try to clean my filter every 2 months, but recently it hasn't lasted that long. So i will look into everything you have stated re. carbon pellets / chemi pure.

Thanks again for your help

Hi Donny,

Sorry to asking you questions about my filter, i was wondering about the marine pure balls. What size would best suit the FX5, do i keep the ceramic rings as well? Also do i add the carbon pellets in a different level of the filter, so i have all types of media mentioned to help work keeping my tank healthy?

The current setup i have in the tank, i don't think a wave maker will work efficiently, i'm happy to manually suck up waste

Thanks again

I think you get about a litre and a half of marine pure into a single tray of an FX5.

COmbined with a tray of the rings it should do a good job of it.

I certainly wouldnt pull out the rings and add marine pure in one go.

As until the marine pure is colonised by microbes, the ceramic rings are doing all the heavy lifting!

A tray of carbon will do a good job at giving the water a polish, and keeping it looking crisp.

Wave makers are more about keeping particles from reaching the bottom.

Its all about keeping them suspended until they can get sucked into your FX5 intake.

Yep they can move around sand, but I generally mount them quite high in the tank so they can asist in rippling the water surface to ensure excellent oxygenation.

Your airstone sounds like it has that covered nicely tho!

3dcd74a8bee6b7ef07be7bbc6109343f_zps53346dc8.jpg

Sign in to follow this