Robbo89

Building a Natural Pond

Gonna keep the words few and the pictures great, aiming for a concrete-shelled native pond and water-stream feature. At a rough estimation we are looking at about 4,000 litres, to be stocked with Crimson Spotted Rainbows, Gudgeons and other native fish which I hope to collect form Cedar Creek. Currently about a week into the project, will update daily.

Pond Site:

IMG_8446_zpsdbaf376e.jpg

IMG_8450_zps8a8fc622.jpg

IMG_8457_zpsb274f4f8.jpg

Day 1: (Marking)

IMG_8471_zps8045709f.jpg

IMG_8472_zps70353145.jpg

Day 2: (Digging)

IMG_8490_zps55128334.jpg

IMG_8492_zpsf55eb75a.jpg

How the water run off will be dealt with (pond site is on a sloped hill):

IMG_8493_zps9d485764.jpg

Day 5: (Took the weekend off)

IMG_8494_zps16f439d0.jpg

IMG_8496_zpsfbb8d586.jpg

IMG_8498_zpsd645ea7d.jpg

Dug a shelf around the outside of the pond, roughly 8 inches broad and 20cm below desired water level. 15cm will be concreted, 5cm to have the water level above the shelf and thus halfway up the bordering rocks.

Day 6: (Levelling)

IMG_8504_zps30cc0f62.jpg

IMG_8506_zps06d040cf.jpg

IMG_8508_zpsa8079661.jpg

Tomorrow I will complete the final levelling process, shape the waterfall/stream into steps and begin the 12mm reinforced steel shell in order to concrete next monday. Currently I'm leaning towards waterproofing the concrete (like a pool) rather than using a liner, but am still undecided. Have also not yet chosen a pump, any recommendations are more than welcome. :)

Now this I will be watching.

Great work so far.

What are you thinking for filtration ??

You'll need a pump with a decent head height.

This will be a great build thread.

Noice!!!

My sister did a similar thing in her "back yard" but the "stream" ran alot flatter into a pond about 4.5ft deep. Was sensational and amazing to see native frogs suddenly appearing and taking up residence. The only issue she had was there was alot of evaporation because of the stream but i think with the gradient you have there it wont be such an issue.

How far is the elevation from the pond to the start of the cascade? You might need to look at a full on water pump like an Onga or something.

This will be a stunning build when it's finished.

Kudos to you:humble:

Cheers for the kind words ladies, all very appreciated :) haven't looked into the pump side of things yet, as for filtration I may go for a uv pump, or keep it natural depending on the pump I choose.

Unfortunately we finished after dark tonight and I didn't grab a photo, but half the steel bars have been shaped and the cascade has been shaped into a shelf also.

sejydepa.jpg

Will grab some photos of the bars in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3m isn't so bad and should give you lots of options on pumps at least.

I'm currently looking at the Reefe RP10000, at 3m it should give me an 8,700 L/ph flow rate, which sounds pretty powerful. But better to overdo it... right?

The cascade is about a metre wide and I'm not exactly aiming for a slight trickle, but would be this be too intense?

I'm currently looking at the Reefe RP10000, at 3m it should give me an 8,700 L/ph flow rate, which sounds pretty powerful. But better to overdo it... right?

The cascade is about a metre wide and I'm not exactly aiming for a slight trickle, but would be this be too intense?

TBH i've never used any of the 10,000l/h+ pumps so couldn't give first hand advice but i would think that 10,000 is probably not going to be anywhere near enough. I would probably have a chat with Techy or AoA and see what they think would be a suitable pump for your needs.

Just having a quick look at Techy's site and there is a video on the Aquael PFN 15,000 page. It actually shows the 25,000l/h model and i'm thinking this may be closer to what you would need. Could be wrong though.

So I spent all of yesterday calling around for advice on pumps filters and whatnot. Heres what I've decided on:

Laguna Max Flo 7500 Pump ---> at the cascade's 2m head height it will give me a roughly 5,900 Lp/h which seems to be what I'm after.

Laguna Pressure Flo 12000 UV Filter ---> suits the pump perfectly (ideal flow rate of 5500 to 6500) and is guaranteed to produce clear water

And I've also found that PondSupplies.com.au sells both these items cheapest ($294 and $657 respectively) as well as having a 7x4m .5mm PVC liner for $266.

I'll admit I wasn't expecting such prices but you get what you pay for I guess, no point working immensely hard on the pond only to have poor equipment let it down.

Other than that, here is what I did today.

Day 9 (Still Steel laying :( - Easily the worst part of the build so far, massive pain and being a perfectionist every little irregularity frustrates me!)

IMG_8526_zpsfa690358.jpg

IMG_8527_zps50c7e3b7.jpg

IMG_8528_zps6067d4dc.jpg

Are you making sure that the steal in not in contact with the soil otherwise it has a high possibility of corroding and cracking the concrete.

This is only the initial shell forming, after all bars are formed, geofabric and black plastic will be laid before re installing the steel which will then be tied together and lifted with plastic legs.

Awesome Robbo, any tips for laying and bending the steel?

Give yourself plenty of time, patience and buy "bendable" grade rio. This stuff is made to form into pools so it wasn't too bad, but still a huge pain. We got around it with two sledgehammers, a long hollow pipe (to bend the ends) and a few blocks of wood to stop the bar just disappearing into the dirt when we hit it.

Here's a couple more photos:

ederumet.jpg

7ugajezu.jpg

Concrete is being poured today, so I'm in a bit of a rush to re install the framing and tie it all together! But we'll see how it goes, wish me luck boys! ;)

Unfortunately the rain cancelled the concrete pour, so it looks like another week before it can be done. :( I finished laying and tying the bars back in, lifting them off the plastic with chairs and making final adjustments. Got a bit more to do later on today but other than that it's pretty much ready

e6ary3aq.jpg