Robbo89

Building a Natural Pond

Robbo you should abondon the waterfall down the steep bank and go for a shallow stream like effect along the front of the rock wall to next to the lawn, like a touch pool. Less pumping needed, easier to maintain and will create some habitat for frogs etc. will be much easier to maintain too. Good luck. Ponds can be hard work sometimes.

I built a pond similar to yours with a hoop pine tree similar distance from pond...Roots from tree caused no end of problems,cracking cement..this was seasonal as ground shrunk and swelled..!!trees affected other plants I landscaped with...just an observation!good luck

Probably won't he hasn't been on in other 5 months. I was keen to see how it turned out as well.

Haha well I'm back just to prove you wrong!

Not really.. I've just been caught up with other things and haven't been putting my time where I should be.

But along with my discus tank the pond is something I'm gonna start grinding through again, at least until it looks nice and has something alive in it other than mosquitoes.

So yeah it looks exactly like it does in those last few pictures, but probably even more overgrown and with a bit more water in it.

Summer is the best time for me to stock it considering the night time temperatures won't be low enough to cause any unacclimatised shock, so I'm hoping it won't be too long before it's ready for some native fish.

Thanks for your patience with this everyone, and really appreciate the following. Hopefully I'll be able to repay that with an awesome final product soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have read through all of this and getting bit frustrated, where is the end product..Robbo89

i am also building a new pond and hopefully stock it with natives..just learning all about them....

Edited by Chookman
Just wanted to add something

I have read through all of this and getting bit frustrated, where is the end product..Robbo89

i am also building a new pond and hopefully stock it with natives..just learning all about them....

The end product is coming mate! I'm putting all my time into my discus build at the moment so if your keen to follow that you can check it out here.

But once the sump is set up and cycling I'll have about 2 weeks of spare time to throw at the pond.

In all honesty I reckon a full day of hardwork and it could be done and ready for fish, just need a couple bags of cement and a few stubbies to power through it all.

It's funny cause working on the pond actually feels like a break from my discus build because there's nothing mentally straining about it, no fiddly parts or tight spaces or precise measurements, just gotta get neck deep in there and make it happen. So with a bit of good fortune it shouldn't be long before I've got some solid progress to update with.

Will you be having a two year party for it in a couple of months? OMG they built the pyramids quicker :D

I built a 5Mx1MX600mm deep pond against the side of my house plastic lined, with a white sand substrate. I must say it was the best afternoon I'd spent in ages. :P

C'mon buddy pull your finger out, we are all dying to see it finished, or in my case, want to see it finished before I die.

Put some beers on and throw a barbie/working bee. Six hours discussing what needs to be done and 2 hours finishing it. :)

Looking at earlier pics it seems you get a fair bit of muddy runoff into the pond. I recon that needs sorting if you haven't already.

You mentioned using a liner over the concrete. Do you still think you would still need one after this amount of time?

Gimme a PM if you want a hand get motivated one weekend. I have beer :)

[MENTION=17072]Farmboy99[/MENTION] hahaha if it gets to the 2nd anniversary and the pond still isn't finished it will be a very sad day indeed.

Working bee isn't a bad idea. And as you say it's a job easily bowled over with a day of hard work. I'd get stuck into today but the next job is concreting the waterfall and I can't do that while my dads away with work, think it would break his heart to see me finish one of the only things we've ever done together without him.

The runoff is pretty bad, as the pond sits on a level platform in the side of a pretty steep hill. We played with some ideas a while ago to deal with it, I'll see if I can dig up the sketches and show you.

The concrete holds the water pretty well, but the liner on top of the concrete was mainly to prevent any of those big trees from sending roots in, cracking the concrete and loosing all the water.

We figured a liner wouldn't stop the roots from cracking the concrete, but it should act like a water balloon inside an ice cream container. Plus we needed it to get the water height around the outer edge, the concrete is sort of a false shelf to place rocks on.

Thanks for keeping me on it fellas, need the motivation!!

I can't do that while my dads away with work, think it would break his heart to see me finish one of the only things we've ever done together without him.

Don't you believe it. It may come as a great relief that it's job done and one less project hanging over his head. :)

Years ago I met an Oscar breeder called Jamie, who lived north Caboolture on the way to Elimba. He had concrete ponds all the way around his house and he helped me build one at my place. He showed a chemical that you add to concrete mix, which causes any cracks to heal. They use it when building water tanks. Some put lime in the mix but this can raise the ph. I name dropped cos I would really like to meet up with him again and who knows? someone on here may know him. :)

I thought they do if they are more than 30cm deep

That's rite they do now classed as a pool now if over 30cm deep or filtered has to meet pool fencing guidelines we had to up grade our pond fence to pool fencing council are also using dromes to check pools and ponds now we had one over our place a week ago :/

Arrrrr! Read right through expecting to see a lovely lush environment

Please hurry!

We're getting there I promise!

And to be totally honest you could argue that it is a relatively lush environment at the moment.. Just lush with weeds and dirty water

[MENTION=17387]LegendaryChick[/MENTION]

I definitely could, but as I've said before it's really only one full day's work away from being finished so I'm planning just to bowl it all over at once.

The mental picture is my biggest setback, it's the reason the pond is done but the waterfall isn't... But yeah I've got the filter sitting in my garage! It's a Laguna something uv filter.

On ‎7‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 5:31 PM, Robbo89 said:

The mental picture is my biggest setback, it's the reason the pond is done but the waterfall isn't... But yeah I've got the filter sitting in my garage! It's a Laguna something uv filter.

Any updates?

Not sure if you have progressed any with this project, but seriously if you haven’t you need to use Black Waterfall foam to put your waterfall together. You can buy it from aquascape supplies.com.au in Yandina on the Sunshine Coast. Also have a look at aquascapeinc.com site for plenty of building tips