Lictoga

Snail control in bn breeder tank

If your having a snail population problem then you're probably overfeeding so the snails are doing you a favour. If you cut back on food, the snail population will die a natural death - so with some patience you will get a reasonable level.

If you are sure you don't want any snails, a little copper will knock them out quite easily without harming your bristlenose, assuming they are not malaysian live bearing snails which will close up water tight.

had a similar problem in my bn tanks. had to keep the food up for all the little fellas and the snails went nuts. i grabbed some of the "no planaria" stuff from AOA and it sorted out the small snails in my tanks (not sure what species) but it has had no effect on the larger ramshorn snails. this stuff is shrimp safe and has had no effect on my baby peps and 144s .

assuming they are not malaysian live bearing snails which will close up water tight.

This habit makes them immune even to very heavy doses of chlorine!

Comes a time when you need to remove gravel and hit it with high or low temperature.

Might be worth finding out exactly what they can handle.

Gravel in an esky with ice tipped on top............ or gravel in a pot with water on the stove.

How high/low can you go, ya dam moluscs!

Dont know if it would work but i try to minimise chemicals in my tanks , clown loaches love snails , they may chew on the eggs and juvies though.otherwise Donny's idea of boiling your gravel works done it ,bit of a pain Just used a large pot like a spaghetti pot with a colander with it boil water,turn stove off and dunk it in batches Leave for a couple of minutes and repeat . Just reheat after a few batches. Downside is it destroys any good bacteria in the gravel.

WARNING THOUGH IF YOU DONT TURN THE STOVE OFF THE PRESSURE FROM THE GRAVEL GOING IN AND THE BUBBLES NOT BEING ABLE TO ESCAPE WILL SPILL OUT AROUND THE COLANDER AND IT DOESNT TICKLE