Jenno83

8ft * 2ft * 2ft Flitration african cichlid tank

Hi just wondering what the best options would be for filtration of my 8ft tanks presently has 2 overflows aqua clear 110's and 4 way air pump. Really don't know if it is doing the job properly was thinking of going 1 * aqua one 2700 and an otto internal or 2 * aqua one 2700 really just want to know what my options are or whether i could just add something to what i already have to make it better have lost a few fish lately and don't know weather it is due to filtration as all water conditions test fine but. Thanks

Ive been doing a bit of research on this lately for the 8x2x2 tank im getting built in the near future. If you want to go with canisters most recommend 2 x fluval FX6's or 2x Ehiem 2260's. The general rule is fluval for mechanical filtration and ehiem for biological. Are your fish grouping near the surface of the water? Thats usually the biggest sign that they aren't getting enough filtration.

Hi just wondering what the best options would be for filtration of my 8ft tanks presently has 2 overflows aqua clear 110's and 4 way air pump. Really don't know if it is doing the job properly was thinking of going 1 * aqua one 2700 and an otto internal or 2 * aqua one 2700 really just want to know what my options are or whether i could just add something to what i already have to make it better have lost a few fish lately and don't know weather it is due to filtration as all water conditions test fine but. Thanks

Filtration size is largely dependent on your stock. What have you got in the tank and how many? I have a tank with the same volume and a single fx5/Aqua one 2700 with an internal power head is sufficient.

Most people would think that is under filtered however I do 50% water changes every three days. The longer you leave it the better your filtration needs to be. The more fish you have in the tank the more filltration you need.

Pretty straight forward. Airstones are always a good idea to oxygenate the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive been doing a bit of research on this lately for the 8x2x2 tank im getting built in the near future. If you want to go with canisters most recommend 2 x fluval FX6's or 2x Ehiem 2260's. The general rule is fluval for mechanical filtration and ehiem for biological. Are your fish grouping near the surface of the water? Thats usually the biggest sign that they aren't getting enough filtration.

Yeah the fluval fx range can be hit and miss as you say but they do biological filtration just as good as any other filter. The media you put inside the filter is the biggest factor as to how much bacteria can live in your filter.

Was fairly heavily stocked 50-60 cichlids and Plecos and catfish aqua one seem to be pretty good on price compared to fx how do they compare for filtration and would 2 canisters be the best option?

2 of the aqua-one 2700's still cheaper than buying 1 fx filter, would be a good option those 2700's hold ALOT of media for biological and plenty of room for filter foams for mechanical filtration too.

2 of the aqua-one 2700's still cheaper than buying 1 fx filter, would be a good option those 2700's hold ALOT of media for biological and plenty of room for filter foams for mechanical filtration too.

+1!

I run 2 x aqua one 2700 UVC's on my 8x2x2 and they are great. Get some decent media though. I run marinepure and seachem matrix along with some Macropore as well.

No dramas with water quality. I do a fortnightly 25% water change when I remember.

32 watts for aqua one 2700 + 5 watts more for the UV

It aint gonna cost you less in the long run to have 2 of them as opposed to a single FX6.

Big fan of using a power efficient wave maker for oxygenation (rippling surface) and keeping waste particles off the bottom so they can be sucked into canister intake.

I'm using the Aqua One 2700 without the uv & a Fluval U4 on my 840lt tank. I use the standard media in the canister along with 3lts of marine pure spheres & Dacron for my fine particle remover.Canister works well for the money, but is a little high in wattage though :)

UV is another layer of water polishing.

Really depends if you are going to invest the dollars to get a real steralizer for disease control, or just get a cheap one to handle algae blooms.

As to whether its worth it, thats up to you.

Many people consider them insurance for valuable stock, others a way to avoid water changes for a bit.

A sump with filter socks would be the best option in my opinion...but as you said it is not an option for you. You have to use canisters. FX5/6 combos would be good or the Eheim equivalent. I use an FX5 to go with my sump. The filter socks work wonders.

Also i would consider setting up an auto water change system. Might be difficult without a sump though. My system pumps out water about 8 times a day for a total of approximately 100-150 L/day. Water is then pumped back to the sump via my auto top up unit that is connected to a reservoir. I do pretty much no maintenance on my tank, I change a filter sock about once a week, and nitrates are always 0-5ppm. Also with a sump you can chuck in some pothos (house plant) have the leaves above the water and roots below, and they suck up nitrates at a pretty good rate...

$549 - your 10% discount.

One would be enough, especially with air.............. buuuuuuut I would put 2 on for over kill :D

The standard media is also ok............ buuuuuuuuuut I would consider jazzing it up a bit with maybe some chemipure/macropore and a bit of marine pure.

Back in the day, people filtered 8x2x2 with a lot less. These days though we have lots of options.

If you want to keep it all in budget, you could consider pairing the fx6 with one of the resun 2800 lph canisters.

Those things are the sleeper beasts of the hobby and they are cheap!

Go onto eBay and get a pool sand filter $150.00 comes with a 10000lts pump witch is quieter then aqua one air pump went to masters got some better fittings ball valve my water has never been cleaner or better with ph kh gh have not had to and anything for months filled mine with crushed coral jap mat filter pads noodles c

Ya I know I would never be able to afford it but we have 20 sola panels so I only pay $30.00 a month and that's just for a paper/admin fee befor it got sola power bill was $200-400 a month more money to spend on fish tanks haha