cturner1

plants without co2

I've never used CO2 and all my tanks have been planted ones. I don't use a plant substrate either - just normal crushed glass type gravel. I do use some seachem liquid fertiliser from time to time (like every 3-4 weeks when i remember to!).

The plants that do well in my tanks have been:

Mosses - all kinds but java moss is the easiest and grows quickly so you get a good effect for minimal effort

Java fern - crested, needle, and regular

Crypts

Anubias

Val

Subwassertang - very easy to grow.

Some pictures of my tanks in the past:

post-8748-14711631336444_thumb.jpg

post-8748-14711631336105_thumb.jpg

post-8748-14711631336294_thumb.jpg

Well, that's a trick question TBH.

ALL plants need CO2 to grow but i think what you're referring to is pressurised CO2. Your question is probably better asked the other way round, "What plants NEED CO2 supplementation" as the list of plants that will grow quite fine without it is very long indeed. CO2 supplementation will accelerate growth and also allow you to grow certain plants that are more demanding in their requirements.

As shown above it's not hard to have an attractive planted tank with minimal effort. Keep it simple and if possible some half decent lighting will go a long way to ensuring success.

Good luck.

I've never used CO2 and all my tanks have been planted ones. I don't use a plant substrate either - just normal crushed glass type gravel. I do use some seachem liquid fertiliser from time to time (like every 3-4 weeks when i remember to!).

The plants that do well in my tanks have been:

Mosses - all kinds but java moss is the easiest and grows quickly so you get a good effect for minimal effort

Java fern - crested, needle, and regular

Crypts

Anubias

Val

Subwassertang - very easy to grow.

Some pictures of my tanks in the

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49697[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]49698[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]49699[/ATTACH]

Wow nice tanks! Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Grushed glass is just an inert gravel. Not usually regarded as one of the best substrates for plants but i think that was Sacrilicious's point, to show you that there are many plants you can grow with little special care.

When you say you had plants growing but then they all suddenly died what changed in the tank? If they were growing well then they wont die for no reason so normally there will be a trigger of some sort, perhaps even just a water change.