hey guys

so just thought i would chuck this up, getting my new marine setup all together and running

just a thread to keep track of the progress in my tank, and hopefully you guys can chuck a little advice on how to make it look... better?

haha heres the photos

DSCN1747_zpse6dd7f40.jpg

DSCN1751_zpsbcdde7ff.jpg

i will be buying a sump hopefully this week, which will be a three chamber system, and be a home for a fuge, protein skimmer, filter sock(s) heater and my return pump

will need to get the tank drilled first which will be done hopefully sometime next week

house stays at a pretty constant temp, but will be buying a small chiller just as a safeguard (its a great excuse when you dont have much mun) and then on top of that will be buying all sorts of crazy reactors for calcium, phosban and carbon (did i miss any? you get the point).

The tank is being helped to cycle by 6L of pre cycled matrix that has come straight out of a running tank that has been taken down now. added 10kgs of liverock yesterday arvo, as well as a Galaxea spp. which i absolutely love! plan of keeping it with other corals slightly diminished when i found out how aggressive they are, and not good with other corals in a certain radius. i will just place it in a direction where the sweepers will be blown away from other corals?

or when the tank is fully matured and im ready to chuck some more corals in i will just find another home for the galaxea.

Not sure what stocking is going to be yet, it is still on the cards.

the tank is 36x24x28 (all in inches, dont even know which system to follow anymore)

will be upgrading lighting in the next coming weeks

stay posted, any suggestions appreciated

(edit: otto internal is only in the tank to remove fine particular waste, and serves as the only mechanical filtration. until i get my sump and filter socks this will stay in the tank.

forgot to mention the tank had an ammonia spike today, as what goes with the addition of liverock into the tank on monday, will be keeping a close eye on the levels and hope for a short winter... ahem i mean cycle!)

Edited by Betta-Cray_z

I would take your rock up “add some” higher for the more photosynthetic life forms to be placed on and make where the live rock touches the substrate a lot more open like swim throughs as such, that will help reduce some nitrate and hydrogen sulphide production later on as under your rock becomes full of crap and keep your substrate no deeper then 15 mill.Then with your external bio filter ,make a good sized with two sized granules, wet section after the sock.

If you make the water rise under the wet section and make it half medium granules and the other half smaller granules with a piece of cardboard taken out after filling, the water will take the path of least resistance and flow through the large granules and pass the small granules like a deep sand bed, this will help eradicate parasites and reduce nitrate a great deal and allow for additional stocking. It must be kept clean by using at least one sock!

The rest, what ever!

cheers for the reply

there has recently been a slight change in plans

i now plan to keep the tank as a FOWLR set up, i tend not to have the time to be dosing with this that and the other.

so guys, the tank is 3x2x70(cm) i was wondering could i just have one large puffer in the tank?

So went down to currumbin yesterday to go collecting. Managed to pick out a few waritah anenomes and a couple of greens, some large snails too and a decent sized crab.

Should have known better, crab was trying to destroy the Galaxea so that went swiftly...

Crab legs anyone?

Sent from my phone with a 5 min battery life

okay so brought a dog face puffer home today (Arothron nigropunctatus)

cute little guy, corals will be going to a friend on monday... if they last that long...

will just be his humble abode with the live rock, i may look at the possibility of tank mates later on down the track.

i have changed the scape around again, and added a further 6kgs of live rock.

the clicking that ive been hearing has been getting more frequent and louder. im sure mrs puff will sort that out!

the clicking that ive been hearing has been getting more frequent and louder. im sure mrs puff will sort that out!

Lol, most likely.

Yeh we see quite a few of those and the gold variation as well. Put this in a goggle search bar of you like and check them out.

Puffers and box fishfound near Brisbane in SEQ

Edited by liquidg

Whats the sort of rules and such with collecting?

I love the gold guys, but veen looking at getting into diving too!

Sent from my phone with a 5 min battery life

Look around on the club site, it's all open for viewing now so no need to join, everything is on there including rules for collecting.