Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jaymes

services

Hi not sure where best to post this. But im looking for someone on the gold coast preferably near southport or with mobile o2 to bag all my fish in oxygen. I am moving 5 hours north and want my fish bagged in o2 ill supply bags. Willing to negotiate costs of o2 have approahed a few local fish shops none willing to do it for me due to numbers I have, they said its not the o2 but the time required to do it. One quote I got was $10 a styrfoam box of approx 8 to 10 bags a box. Id take them in just the boxes with water and tape lids down with air pumps in boxes but im worried about water spilling in my car still through the hole in top plus the sloshing. Would rather bag them.

$10 per box sounds quite reasonable for oxygen. 5 hours drive is not such a long trip in cool weather. I would put all fish into one large bag per fish box (black garbage bag will do) with portable aerator or inverter. Just rubber band the bag closed loosely with air line going in to stop slosh.

Make sure you stop feeding 3-4 days before.

You can also get bags of oxygen from store and transfer over but not worth the effort.

$10 per box sounds quite reasonable for oxygen. 5 hours drive is not such a long trip in cool weather. I would put all fish into one large bag per fish box (black garbage bag will do) with portable aerator or inverter. Just rubber band the bag closed loosely with air line going in to stop slosh.

Make sure you stop feeding 3-4 days before.

You can also get bags of oxygen from store and transfer over but not worth the effort.

Yeah I thought about the garbage bag idea but ive got fry and females that I dont want to mix up for identity reasons. Mainly tanks full of endler vaieties that ive kept pure. Guess they should be ok with air only in the bags if I dont over crowd the bags. Cichlids im happy to mix up as easy to identify. Also dont want to go mixing my shrimp and shrimplets.

The water sloshing will actually oxygenate quite satisfactorily if your stocking levels are low. You can also tip the bags upside down once an hour and lay the bags horizontal if your worried. Adding hydrogen peroxide is another low tech method to oxygenate.

Why don't you bag a few fish right now and leave them alone (under observation) for 24 hours if you need some reassurance.

Thanks guys for the help, Im moving at 1pm today so have been bagging my shrimp. Have bagged about 25 per bag with 1/4 water and 3/4 air laid the bags on their side and after quiet a few hours they are still happy cruising among the weed i also added for them to cling onto. Ill bag the fish in the morning and lay the bags flat. some will travel in a bucket with air pump in it with them but they will mainly be my larger fully grown peacocks. got all my plants in boxes wrapped in wet news paper.