lilviss

Should i buy a UV sterilizer on a breeding brisltenose tank?

I may be being a canister filter soon and i was wondering if a uv sterilizer would be a good buy?

I run a divided 80L tank with longfin BN pairs and shrimp in each side and to lower chance of disease and anything else would it be worth buying one?

My mate runs one on his 6ft and says it was the best decision ever in regards to water clarity

I've run them in the past breeding common BN and it worked great.

with my old set up I had a friend who worked in aquaculture was amazed at my water quality given the bio loading I had at the time.

That system had 6 two foot cubes and a very basic sump made from another 2 foot cube, I think I had an 11w uv on the return line.

another thing to note is there are "uv sterilizers" and "uv clarifiers", its worth a google to see the difference. but the short version is a clarifier will just clear up your green water, (this is inevitable feeding algae wafers). a sterilizer kills bacteria etc etc but requires a much slower flow throughput.

Im currently trying to work out if its worth trying to use a sterilizer in my new build or just stick with a clarifier as I've used in the past.

my issue is eventually my turn over will be 10 000 LPH (ish) and and im unwilling to spend thousands on a commercial unit.

so I either use a clarifier that can handle that flow or divert a small amount of water via a steriliser.

personally I think only sterilizing some of the water defeats the point so I think ill be heading down the clarifier road again

but I'd love to hear other peoples thoughts regarding a sterilizer

haha, well generally money talks... clarifiers tend to be a lot cheaper, also your probably not adding new fish, just breeding what you have, so in theory your current system is disease free so clarifier should do just fine.

be more careful with new additions by quarantining them till your sure they are healthy.

just my thoughts, but then if I was breeding expensive L number I don't think I'd run the risk

I've recently been running a "UView Aquarium Purifier" from blueplanet only the 9w smaller version in a 2ft 100L tank with bristlenose in it and so far from what I've noticed it has been going good. I brought it as it states that it will keep crystal clear water and healthier water and works up to 200L. It says it's a UV sterilizer which will reduce the amount of diseases, bad stuff in the water but also says it will keep your water crystal clear, so win win situation really! Good luck with the decision.