Sign in to follow this  
drewcastle

The new grunter.

I've been looking for a coal grunter for a while now and finally came across one the other day and just had to buy it!

He's an aggressive lil fellow, within 10 minutes he was chasing and bossing a bass his size around the tank! He's about 6-7cm and I can't wait till he's up near the 30 mark!

He's on pellets, which is great. But which pellets would be best for a grunter? I really wanna get that nice black and gold colour to stand out!

Any helps appriciated, thanks Andrewpost-12887-14711631368903_thumb.jpg

post-12887-14711631368715_thumb.jpg

I still have your old Coal Grunter blocka!!

He's a fat one now!

Currently in an 8ft with smaller Barred Grunter, Murray Cod, Bullrout, Jag, Dovii, Freddy, Blackbelt, RD, Synspilum, Salmon Tail & 3 Featherfins.

All get along well, but there is a hierarchy. The Coal Grunter sits about 4th in line to the throne!

I did have to move on two Bass though. They weren't going to last long in this tank.

Oh okay.

He's killed the bass but I really want another fish in the tank so I'm thinking about putting a bullrout in there and hopefully he leaves him alone!

I'd consider getting some tangled driftwood in there for hiding structure, like a few bits of goldvine....... than add some smaller convicts for him to chase around.

Cheap and pretty.

Smart too....... give them some structure and its rare they get tagged.

I still have your old Coal Grunter blocka!!

He's a fat one now!

Currently in an 8ft with smaller Barred Grunter, Murray Cod, Bullrout, Jag, Dovii, Freddy, Blackbelt, RD, Synspilum, Salmon Tail & 3 Featherfins.

All get along well, but there is a hierarchy. The Coal Grunter sits about 4th in line to the throne!

I did have to move on two Bass though. They weren't going to last long in this tank.

How big is he now

Thanks donny!

I'll look into it. The coal grunters about 8-9 cm and I just bought a 20cm sleepy cod and he chases the cod around and nips him, I couldn't believe it as the cod is over double his size!

How big is he now

It's pushing about 18cm now and very fat!

Oh okay.

He's killed the bass but I really want another fish in the tank so I'm thinking about putting a bullrout in there and hopefully he leaves him alone!

I have a 15cm one here if your keen mate.

What size tank is your's in? You really need something bossier than a sleepy, but not aggressive enough to pick on him.

post-7562-14711631502746_thumb.jpg

15cm I have it on for 30 elsewhere, but will give him to you for 20 as your over in Strathpine.

Will only eat live food. Not frozen. Loves the freshwater shrimp, fish, earthworms, crickets, etc...

Actually as a side note... I am suspicious that the Bullrout is the one that took the back end off a young Festae I had. It must have been around the size of your Coal Grunter.

They are a very sneaky nocturnal ambush predator...

Edited by steven_b

He would do, but is kind of like a spider and tends to 'wait to pounce' if you get me. A very fast attack, but picks his moment.

This doesn't go down well in a tank full of larger americans and natives!

I usually put them down to it with a predator stick/tongs or something.

He does go for the floating pellets lately though can't seem to chew them very well and ends up loosing them pout of its mouth.

Sign in to follow this