Hi all,

Just after a bit of input to see what my options are here. After adding 2 x 3ft tanks and a 4ft I noticed quiet a large jump in the power bill.

So what I was wondering, especially coming into winter, would it be safe enough for the fish to turn the pumps for sumps and canisters off for a few hours during the day.

If I put them on a timer could run all through the off peak hours, then only come on for a few hours during the day to keep cycling water.

Any input appreciated, especially from those who are doing something similar.

Tanks that would be getting turned off are a sumped 3x3x3 cichlid tank, and a canister filtered 4ft community tank. Everything else runs off air and I don't think that pulls much power.

Cheers,

Keats.

Hi all,

Just after a bit of input to see what my options are here. After adding 2 x 3ft tanks and a 4ft I noticed quiet a large jump in the power bill.

So what I was wondering, especially coming into winter, would it be safe enough for the fish to turn the pumps for sumps and canisters off for a few hours during the day.

If I put them on a timer could run all through the off peak hours, then only come on for a few hours during the day to keep cycling water.

Any input appreciated, especially from those who are doing something similar.

Tanks that would be getting turned off are a sumped 3x3x3 cichlid tank, and a canister filtered 4ft community tank. Everything else runs off air and I don't think that pulls much power.

Cheers,

Keats.

Maybe look for ones that us a lower wattage.

I would not turn off any pumps/canisters. How many are you talking? If it is just one canister and one pump then look at its wattage and calculate the real cost. For example a 70w sump pump and a 50w canister (total of 120w) will cost less than $5 a week to run. Put that into perspective, that's the price of a coffee or one beer a week. If i had this problem I would skip the coffee and keep my fish alive.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

If it is plugged into your normal power points there is no off peak it costs the same Cents per kw at any time of the day. Off peak runs on a different meter in your power box for hot water and only works on set hours that you can not change

A decent canister filter should only be using around 20W so as already stated it's not much of a power saving and poses a very real risk of serious complications and livestock losses.

If you are running lights i would be looking at using them for a shorter period during the day and perhaps only running your heaters overnight on a timer and letting them stay off for most of the day. I do this and have almost no temp fluctuations.

Turning sump pumps off and leaving air filters on is no problem if your system is large enough

As long as you know your parameters and have a low stocking rate

I know a few people that have off-peak and it goes off twice a day leaving the air running

No ammonia spike, no appreciable bacteria die off

Rules are meant to be broken as long as you know what you are doing