dragonboy69

Media for canisters. What's your preferred choice and why

Hi all. I'd like to do a poll but not sure on how to do it. But the topic is what is your preferred media choice for canisters and why. I don't want answers suggesting products just because our sponsors are selling the product. I hope our sponsors are not offended or upset. But if you find the sponsors stuff better that is ok.

Listed are a few choices I can add more if other suggestions come up.

Seachem Matrix

MarinePure Spheres

Ceramic Noodles

Mr Aqua Pouros Noodles

Coral Ruble

BIOMOTION MEDIA

BIOHOME MEDIA

BIOHOME PLUS MEDIA

BIOHOME ULTRA MEDIA

BIOHOME MINI ULTRA

BIOHOME ULTIMATE

All bio media info can be found here on the following link

BIOMOTION MEDIA - Tyne Valley Aquatics

Edited by dragonboy69

Zeolite is an ammonia removing chemical media, not a static biological media.

Biohome and biomotion are media that is promoted massively by a youtube guy, which is ok........... but he generally trashes other medias to try make his look better.

Which is a bit low and the way its done is often very missleaded...... eg the dye absorbtion test, which the cheapest sintered glass rings are best at, was instead used to try say matrix is rubbish, while the rings were left out of the test.

For me its.....

Marine Pure spheres (biological)

coarse filter sponge (biological/mechanical)

chemi pure (chemical)

Gets the job done for ages.

Which is lucky as I let my canisters go longer than most before I clean them.

There are lots of bio/mech/chem options though.

And the beauty of canisters is that you can tailor them to match

A few examples would be........

~ the bioload of the of the tank (surface area needed for bio)

~ flowrate you need to squeeze out of filter (how much bypass you are willing to allow)

~ frequency of cleaning (amount of fine mech added and how low you need chem media to last)

~ how much media it holds (just how important an epic surface area to volume ratio is on your biomedia)

I would also like to try the BIO-HOME media types as it seems to be of quality and more canister filter friendly with sizing,

Otherwise would like to try the MarinePure Bio-Media MP2C-c BUT doesn't seem to be any source of it in Australia as of yet, just more canister friendly (can get more into each tray)

Biohome and biomotion are media that is promoted massively by a youtube guy, which is ok........... but he generally trashes other medias to try make his look better.

Which is a bit low and the way its done is often very missleaded...... eg the dye absorbtion test, which the cheapest sintered glass rings are best at, was instead used to try say matrix is rubbish, while the rings were left out of the test.

Yes I noticed that he tries to talk his product up. While talking other products down. He puts his pockets interest first instead of trying to promote the hobby properly.