Hi as some of you may know ive been in the process of moving house, just wondering what air blowers / pumps you guys with multiple tanks use to run your sponge filtration? Im currently using a sunsun ac-005 piston pump to run my shrimp rack, and a hailer 250L/hour air blower to run my larger cichlid tanks. The air blower is admittedly noisy though had no complaints from neighbours while on the gold coast. Ive just moved all my fish this long weekend up to maryborough where we are moving to and on my way back to the coast Ive had a phone call complaining about the noise of the air blower. It will be another fortnight before i go back up there for the final time and need to find something silent that will do the job in the mean time and sell off my other equipment. Quiet annoying actually that ive had the pumps running for 4 days and no complaint until I get back to the coast and 5 hours away to rectify any noise issues.

Ultimately im curious to know what air pumps or blowers you guys use that will be capable of running adequate sponge filtration for up to 30 sponges on a single pump but must be silent, approx water volume on my system is 700+ liters consisting of a 15 tank shrimp rack and 3 x 4 foot cichlid tanks.

Get a diaphram air pump, not a blower. They won't put out as much pressure (can't go as deep into water column) but more economical to run, quieter and high air volume. If you are often away, I would get 2 air pumps on the same airline circuit so one pump will continue to supply air if the other pump fails. I have mine on two separate electrical circuits as well with one circuit on an emergency back up (good for 24 hours).

There are several brands of High Volume - Low Pressure pumps available but the more recent ones seem to have plastic casing. Heto, Airlab, AirTech etc for example. I love the SONIC brand (very solid heavy duty gear) but the Australian importer (Pet Pacific) dropped the line a few years ago so whichever brand you get, just make sure you can get spare parts. The Hailea range is popular because it is economically priced. Looking at wattage, usually it is more economical to run 2 smaller pumps than one large pump to get your overall output. The smaller pumps are usually quieter too. The HAP's for example - from HAP-60

HAP 60 - 45 watts and <38dB

HAP 80 - 60 watts and <40 dB

HAP 100 - 80 watts and <40dB

HAP 120 - 90 Watts and <45 dB

If noise is a concern, the other thing you can do is make an insulated box to dampen sound. Have several internal baffles for air inlet so the sound can't escape in a direct line. A few fish keepers put their air pumps in their ceiling crawl space to save space/noise.

I would recommend you also stock up on spare parts if you have lots of fish and don't have a backup air pump. It's a good idea to share a back up air pump with other local fish keepers if you can't afford your own. There are probably lots of posts about air pumps if you do a search. There are several worthwhile tricks to get the most out of your central air.

Yeah my father suggested putting the air blower i currently have under ground to cut noise, make a square hole in the ground 3 times the size of the blower concrete line it and put a boarded door over the top with the intake hose and output hoses up through the floor and cover with a heavy rug or carpet muffling the noise. As I have purchased the place this would be one option. Or just change over to 2 of the Hap 60's

Jaymes, you are the only one who knows what is best for your situation. Blowers are excellent because they rarely fail but usually need to be totally replaced when they do. I would be worried about putting it underground though because blowers are air cooled and get VERY hot if confined. Underground will also collect water and a few reptiles attracted to the heat and shelter. There is also the possibility of a back siphon if your pump is below water level. If you have a smart phone, download a noise meter application and compare your blower with a diaphram pump from a store. You could just keep the blower as emergency backup and get away with one diaphram air pump assuming you are not constantly away.

You don't have that many tanks so I am wondering what configuration you are using? The blower seems to be a huge overkill for only 30 sponges.

Im running the air blower because i picked it up second hand for $50 when in a pinch. About 2 months back I had a piston pump fail while at work came home to a bunch of dead fish and also lost all my crystal reds and blacks, and most of my different cherries. Was using backup battery air pumps until i found the air blower next morning advertised on gumtree. Its been great for running my tank up till now not a single complaint and my neighbours on the coast were a lot closer to the house than where i have moved to in maryborough. The way my tanks are set up is 3 x 4 footers on top shelf and the 15 shrimp tanks side by side under them on the bottom shelf. 5 of the shrimp tanks side by side widthways is the same length as a 4 foot tank. anyway im running 2 x 200L sponges in each of my 4 footers and a small double sponge with stand pipe in each of the shrimp tanks. The sunsun piston pump was a 75L/min and easily run all of my tanks at once but after 2 failures i lost faith in the thing. Mind you I also bought it second hand and may well have been reason the previous owner sold it to me is all the problems with it. I honestly think that 2 x Hap 60 from hailea will be more than enough to run my setup and if one fails the other should be able to keep the fish alive until i have it repaired or replaced. Im heading back up tonight from the gold coast to maryborough to see if i cant quiet the pump some to prevent more complaints between now and next friday when i take the final trip back up.

What ever I replace the blower with Id like it to at least be expandable as I plan to purchase more tanks in the near future as I have a fish room the size of the whole underneath of my house at my new place which means loads of room for expansion.