Patto

How I spent the Easter break part2

so the continuation of the empty wall.

I have watched with envy the many threads on the site around large tanks and thought it time to give it a go and as it happens I have a wall that would support an average size tank. I have been a fan of American cichlids for a while and thought I should ease into it with a less angry fish. So the new tank will be set up to support mainly Geophagus.

the empty wall from part 1

post-1943-14711631389743_thumb.jpg

the new tank - 2400 x 750 x 750

post-1943-14711631390159_thumb.jpg

Ready for fish

post-1943-14711631390332_thumb.jpg

I finish it yesterday and am still fiddling with the lighting but at this stage am happy with the result.

Next step is fish shopping.

thanks for looking.

Are these gary maher set-ups ??

They really really look the part, VERY nice hardscape, it is going to look a treat once you sort lighting out and fill it with fish,

Brand new set-ups or second hand ? they look to be in top condition, love the posts mate keep em coming!

I did forget to add a “big thank you” to the forum members who accepted my numerous (bordering on harassment) questions of them around the tank setup, fish requirements and tank conditions.

Again thanks it did remove a lot of gobble that is out there on the internet.

In between the 2-3ft. face. A mild compromise. Good to see it's not to much shorter than the previous tank. :-).. I'd love to see how you've got your filtration setup.. Looks interesting judging by the empty shot.

Thanks all for the comments.

To answer a couple of the questions, the larger tank filtration is through the base of the tank and runs 3 external canister filtration. There is a Fluval FX5/6 at either end-running standard media (matrix, noddle’s). The middle filter is a Fluval 406 running sponges only with the 4 baskets full of purigen, which returns through a 36w uv sterilizer.

The plumbing was a little tricky and have ended up using Marineflex (aka Cichlidwife earlier projects) which made the job a lot easier. There is enough hose to allow the filters (FX5/6) to be moved outside the cabinet as I have plans to have them on a slide out draw arrangement for ease of maintenance.

Also the stand has been built to support a sump if required at a later stage.

This tank with hood is actually taller than the older tank, so have some work to do around making the hood tilt back is situate rather having to lift it of each time to clean.

I have added some fish to the tank today

Lemon Tetras x 50

Bolivinan Rams x 6

Hatchet (Jumbo big buggers) Fish x 8

Peppermint Bristlenose x 4 (2 male and 2 female)

Geophagus Surinamensis x 10.

I will let them all settle before adding the next set of fish, planning on Corydorus Sterbai x 20

Geophagus Altifrons x 10

and bank manager permitting in August / September Peruvian Altum Angel x 10

Will post some more photos as the tank and fish settle.