Sparky19862

Help with Angelfish spawning! Urgent!!

Ok so upon my several hundred daily inspections of my tank I noticed this on one of my Amazon Sword leaves....

image_zps552bfce5.jpg

This is only the second time I've ever had angels spawn on me and this has happened over night. I'm assuming it's this pair of angels as they won't leave the leaf alone and chase all other angels, neons and silver sharks away from it.

image_zpsbe29676f.jpg

What do I do??? Remove the leaf? Which isn't really an option as the only empty tank I have is ingested and cycling, do I remove all the fish that could attack/eat including parents?? Or do I cut the leaf out and put it into an in tank fry basket type thing? Or just leave them to their own devices?!?! Help ASAP!! I'd love to actually get some babies out of this!! I don't even know what to feed them?!?

Luke

Leave the parents in there but remove all other fish or put a divider in so they can't eat the fry. The parents will try to protect them but once they are free swimming they will get picked off by the other fish.

If the male starts to get too aggressive towards the female you may have to remove him too.

Edited by Al32

You tube - raising angel fish. There is some good ones there . You will need brine shrine hatchery ASAP. You tube can help you make one as well

I have one of those aqua one in tank hatchery net duvalackies lol! Should I wait until the fry start to break free/wiggle out before removing the leaf?! Or should I just let the parents do their thing first time round and if they start becoming complacent then remove them??

Thanks for the help!!

The problem is if you leave them with the parents they can start to eat the slime coat of the parents and the parents start to look real sick real quickly. Someone said that they had success with cherry shrimp raising angel eggs, but I have not tried it.

Write this spawn off as they will probably eat the eggs. Setup a small seperate tank with an airstone and methylene blue (sp) Place some slate or a small acrylic sheet of perspex (my mate used to buy perspex trophy mounts as they free stand. The Angels should spawn on the slate/perspex, remove the spawn and the slate carefully and place it in the methylene tank with the airstone creating a current adjacent to them, when they hatch feed them infusoria, baby brine shrimp or egg powder until the take blackworms or crushed flake. Gradually remove the methylene by small water changes.

Edited by danceswithdingoes

Ok so last night everything was going okay until the light turned off and the little moon light if set up over that side of the tank turned on. The two parents started lip locking and beating each other around as well as still chasing away any would be predators. This concerned me the pair fighting or whatever they were doing, so I turned the light off completely and they stopped.

However my big male BN seems to prefer caviar over his other food....lucky if I have 10 eggs left for the parents as I caught him munching down on them before I went to bed!!

They're still fanning what's left but I don't hold any hope for this batch!!

Thanks for everyone's help, maybe next time it'll work out better!!

Luke

Write this spawn off as they will probably eat the eggs. Setup a small seperate tank with an airstone and methylene blue (sp) Place some slate or a small acrylic sheet of perspex (my mate used to buy perspex trophy mounts as they free stand. The Angels should spawn on the slate/perspex, remove the spawn and the slate carefully and place it in the methylene tank with the airstone creating a current adjacent to them, when they hatch feed them infusoria, baby brine shrimp or egg powder until the take blackworms or crushed flake. Gradually remove the methylene by small water changes.

egg powder, do you mean the stuff you can make scrambled eggs with??

Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_218 using Tapatalk

Rubbish... do more research on the breeding of fish like discus and angels mate..

It'll take 3-4 trys to get it right full stop. ( certain lg experienced adults exceptions) so if u get any babies b4 you'd b lucky. If they get into a rhythm of breeding and you move them to another tank, they'll have to settle in again and you'll have the wait again( unless they're that horny and you move them to exact water parameters and they do the deed anyway but then they'll be stressed and may eat the eggs anyway lol)

A higher temp and they'll hatch quicker.

They don't need to be fed for 3days after hatching. If the patents eat the eggs, there could be something wrong with the fry ( one train of thought about that is to with the fry being genetically weaker)

If they keep doing it,or one keeps doing it its a poor parent so u get rid of it and replace it.

Did the eggs stay clear? Coz 2 girls will lay together but after a couple of days they'll go cloudy.

They DONT need infusoria. Get liquid fry food. That is good enough. Frozen baby brine is a lot easier in a lot of ways, fine powdered flakes, cyclops,daphnia then mysid(mysis) shrimp as well. Even bloodworm sliced off finely with a sharp knife to suit whatever size u want.

If you use meth blue it has to be very dark and as soon as the eggs hatch u have to get rid of it as you'll get a few bellysliders.which means fry will die as well as more then should. Don't take a few days with water changes, use carbon and asap! Use a low turnover internal pump that has become clogged and then put a stocking over the intake.. and at the op end of the tank where they laid the eggs - which will be where ever they want. A clean upside down terracotta pot or a piece of slate can be used to encourage them to lay in a better position.

Gravel on the bottom will let a lot of babies die too as the parents won't see them.

Have a small light on above the eggs for the parents to take care of them. You've learnt your lesson with the bristlenose. Snails will try too.

Have fun

Edited by thatsright99

Hi, Many moons ago I used to keep and breed angelfish.

Angelfish are actually very good parents and one of the joys of breeding them is seeing the parents tend the eggs and fry. The parents will pick the eggs up in their mouth and clean them and put them back on the leaf and they will do the same when the fry have hatched and are not yet free swimming. This cleans them and keeps away fungus. Once the fry have hatched, the best food are newly hatched brine shrimp. You can suck them up in a straw and then blow them out near the fry to facilitate feeding. As they eat their bellies will turn red from the ingested shrimp and then you will know which ones got food and which didn't, so that you can deposit some shrimp near the ones that haven't fed yet.

However, the parents do need to be in a tank on their own. Even a 2 foot is fine. If there are other fish around theywfill at some point feel threatened and eat the eggs/fry. This is an adaptive mechanism to make sure they get the nutrients and energy that the eggs/fry contain, rather than another fish. They can then put that energy back into breeding again. In a tank on their own, most angelfish will parent without problems and it's a lot of fun to see.

Good luck!

Some very interesting advice in this thread, some absolute BS. Sparky if you come and get some rosey barbs in a week when they are ready I will steer you in the right direction. The white fish which looks like the female is probably one that I bred by the looks.

Angel

[MENTION=2846]Angel[/MENTION] - I can't for the life of me remember but I think I bought those angels, which there are 5 in that tank all bought at the same time, from Billabong and Winston Glades which no longer exists! Odd thing is that the white, the larger koi coloured one and my black angel are all large, but my other koi and my silver one are small?! All same ages etc.

Let me know when those Rosie's are ready and I'm keen to learn! This is only the second time it's happened and I want to actually get some fry out of it!!