litigator666

NEW Noxious list jan14

Not sure what was added new but here it is.

Noxious fish

Current declared noxious fish species

Fisheries Act - Schedule 6 - current Jan 2014

Common name Scientific name

aba aba Gymnarchus niloticus

Adriatic sturgeon Acipenser naccarii

African butter catfish Schilbe mystus

African lungfish Protopterus annectens

African pike Hepsetus odoe

African pike-characin, tubenose poacher, fin eater fish of the subfamily Ichthyborinae

American gar, alligator gar, armoured gar Lepisosteus spp. and Atractosteus spp.

Alfaro huberi Alfaro huberi

Amur sturgeon Acipenser schrenckii

angler catfish Chaca bankanensis

angler, catfish, frogmouth catfish, squarehead catfish Chaca chaca

Atlantic sturgeon Acipenser oxyrinchus oxyrinchus

Baikal sturgeon Acipenser baerii baicalensis

banded jewelfish Hemichromis fasciatus

banded sunfish, spotted sunfish family Centrachidae

barred tail pearlfish Leptolebias minimus

beluga Huso huso

bighead carp Aristichthys nobilis

bigmouth sleeper Gobiomorus dormitor

blackchin tilapia Sarotherodon melanotheron melanotheran

bluegill Lepomis spp.

bottlenose, cornish jack Mormyrops anguilloides

bowfin Amia calva

brook stickleback Culaea inconstans

burmensis frogmouth catfish Chaca burmensis

candiru catfish, parasitic catfish, pencil catfish family Trichomycteridae

carp Cyprinus carpio

catla Catla catla

chameleon goby, striped goby Tridentiger trigonocephalus

channel catfish Ictalurus punctatus

Chinese sturgeon Acipenser sinensis

Chinese swordfish Psephurus gladius

Chinese weatherfish, weatherloach Misgurnus anguillicaudatus

climbing perch Anabas testudineus

copper mahseer Neolissochilus hexagonolepis

discus ray Paratrygon aiereba

electric catfish Malapterurus spp.

electric eel Electrophorus electricus

European catfish, wels catfish Silurus spp.

European sturgeon Acipenser sturio

fat sleeper Dormitator maculatus

flatnose catfish, dwarf giraffe catfish Anaspidoglanis macrostomus

forktail lates Lates microlepis

fourspine stickleback Apeltes quadracus

freshwater minnow Zacco platypus

fringebarbel sturgeon Acipenser nudiventris

gambusia, mosquito fish Gambusia spp.

giant barb Catlocarpio siamensis

giant bully Gobiomorphus gobioides

giant cichlid Boulengerochromis microlepis

gilled lungfish Protopterus amphibius

grass carp Ctenopharyngodon idella

green sturgeon Acipenser medirostris

Gulf sturgeon Acipenser oxyrinchus destotoi

Hypseleotris tohizonae Hypseleotris tohizonae

Japanese sturgeon Acipenser multiscutatus

knife-edged livebearer Alfaro cultratus

lake sturgeon Acipenser fulvescens

largemouth bass Micropterus salmoides

Leptolebias aureoguttatus Leptolebias aureoguttatus

marbled lungfish Protopterus aethiopicus

marbled pearlfish Leptolebias marmoratus

marble goby Oxyeleotris marmorata

Mekong giant catfish Pangasianodon gigas

Mississippi paddlefish Polyodon spathula

mrigal Cirrhinus cirrhosus

Nile perch Lates niloticus

ninespine stickleback Pungitius pungitius

opal pearlfish Leptolebias opalescens

orange-fin labeo Labeo calbasu

Oxyeleotris siamensis Oxyeleotris siamensis

Oxyeleotris urophthalmoides Oxyeleotris urophthalmoides

Oxyeleotris urophthalmus Oxyeleotris urophthalmus

Pacific sleeper Gobiomorus maculatus

Pacific fat sleeper Dormitator latifrons

Pangasius conchophilus Pangasius conchophilus

Pangasius elongatus Pangasius elongatus

Pangasius krempfi Pangasius krempfi

Pangasius kunyit Pangasius kunyit

Pangasius macronema Pangasius macronema

Pangasius nasutus Pangasius nasutus

Pangasius nieuwenhuisii Pangasius nieuwenhuisii

Persian sturgeon Acipenser persicus

pike characin Acestrorhynchus microlepis

pike cichlid Crenicichla spp.

pike minnow, pike killifish Belonesox belizanus

pikes Esox spp.

pink, slender, greenwoods, mortimers, cunean and green happy Sargochromis spp.

piranhas, pacus fish of the subfamily Serrasalminae, other than Metynnis spp. and Myleus rubripinnis

purpleface largemouth Serranochromis spp.

pygmy sunfish Elassoma spp.

redfin bully Gobiomorphus huttoni

red swamp crayfish Procambarus clarkii

reedfish Erpetoichthys calabaricus

ripsaw catfish, black doras, black shielded catfish Oxydoras spp.

river carp, deccan, high backed, jungha, putitor, Thai mahseer Tor spp.

rohu Labeo rohita

Russian sturgeon Acipenser gueldenstaedtii

Sakhalin sturgeon Acipenser mikadoi

Sentani gudgeon Oxyeleotris heterodon

shiners Notropis spp.

shortnosed gar Lepisosteus platostomus

shortnose sturgeon Acipenser brevirostrum

shoulderspot catfish Schilbe marmoratus

Siberian sturgeon Acipenser baerii baerii

silver carp Hypophthalmichthys molitrix

silver catfish Schilbe intermedius

slender lungfish Protopterus dolloi

snakehead Channa spp.

snooks Centropomus spp.

South American lungfish Lepidosiren paradoxa

Southern redbelly dace Phoxinus erythrogaster

spot pangasius Pangasius larnaudii

starry sturgeon Acipenser stellatus

sterlet Acipenser ruthenus

stinging catfish Heteropneustes fossilis

tiger catfish Pseudoplatystoma fasciatum

tigerfish (African), pike characin Hydrocynus spp., subfamilies Hydrocyninae and Alestinae

tigerfish (South American) or trahira Erythrinus, Hoplerythrinus and Hoplias spp.

tilapia Tilapia spp, Oreochromis spp and Sarotherodon spp.

Tomeurus gracilis Tomeurus gracilis

tropical carp-gudgeon Hypseleotris cyprinoides

twospot lebiasina Lebiasina bimaculata

twospot livebearer Heterandria bimaculata

Ubangi shovelnose catfish Bagrus ubangensis

Valencia toothcarp Valencia hispanica

walking catfish, airbreathing catfish family Clariidae

white sturgeon Acipenser transmontanus

Yangtze sturgeon Acipenser dabryanus

yellowbelly gudgeon Allomogurnda nesolepis

yellowfin goby Acanthogobius flavimanus

yellowtailed catfish Pangasius pangasius

Didnt even realised that theres a new jan14 version. Am i the only one too late to know? Anyone here part of the committeee deliberating on this? Jan14 and its now Apr14 and i have not heard of public notices on the new release? Good thing my deals are still on the legal side.

Edited by litigator666

No the guys that bring them and the other stuff have the paperwork ect. Its up to you to get a receipt off them so you don't have a problem with fisheries or aqis or whoever. The ones in acrylic off eBay may be a diff problem. A few Years ago you could get deadly African scorpions- or similar and the plastic broke and someone got tagged because it hadn't been milked of its poison so scorpions in acrylic weren't allowed for awhile. Thats the story from the border protection public servants a few years ago anyway.

Today with proper taxidermy they should be Ok. You can always check first.

Edited by thatsright99

So what's the Nile perch in Coles ..???

And you can still get tilapia in the valley... go the fisheries dept..!!!

The list covers noxious fish in QLD that can not be kept under any circumstances live. It does not apply for food fish imported frozen on permit.

No the guys that bring them and the other stuff have the paperwork ect. Its up to you to get a receipt off them so you don't have a problem with fisheries or aqis or whoever.
Any fish on the noxious list in QLD can not be kept under ANY circumstance paperwork or not and for good reason. Several species on the list are already found in waterways including the obvious Carp & Tilapia along with Yellowfin Goby (southern states). Really the list isn't restrictive and given that years ago they were looking to add half the American Cichlids already here to the list we really should not be complaining.

Any fish on the noxious list in QLD can not be kept under ANY circumstance paperwork or not and for good reason. Several species on the list are already found in waterways including the obvious Carp & Tilapia along with Yellowfin Goby (southern states). Really the list isn't restrictive and given that years ago they were looking to add half the American Cichlids already here to the list we really should not be complaining.

Not Restricitive? :P I would love to keep heaps of the fish on that list xD... but as you said it could be worse :) (If only we could live in a world where people wouldn't be so silly as to release fish in to our waterways)

Well the question is, has it decreased in number, or increased?

Anybody kept the Nov11 list? seems the one in the forum is not up to date as it doesn't cover the pangasius family. Would like to compare what was added. I don't think they'll take anything off - its more on new stuff getting listed as noxious.

Makes me a little sad that people are allowed to keep cats and dogs, even though there is a possibility that they could go feral, but we aren't allowed to keep species that could possibly have an effect on the Australian freshwater ways. One can get a firearm if they are willing to go through the licensing, but if we use the logic they used with the allowable import list, we shouldn't be allowed to have guns because they can kill people.

Why cant we have licensing for "higher risk" species, like with reptiles or amphibians? No wonder the industry in Aus sucks... we cant import jack sh*t!

Anybody kept the Nov11 list? seems the one in the forum is not up to date as it doesn't cover the pangasius family. Would like to compare what was added. I don't think they'll take anything off - its more on new stuff getting listed as noxious.
Nothing has been taken off and I doubt ever will be. I have a copy here somewhere will have to try and find it

Makes me a little sad that people are allowed to keep cats and dogs, even though there is a possibility that they could go feral, but we aren't allowed to keep species that could possibly have an effect on the Australian freshwater ways. One can get a firearm if they are willing to go through the licensing, but if we use the logic they used with the allowable import list, we shouldn't be allowed to have guns because they can kill people.

Why cant we have licensing for "higher risk" species, like with reptiles or amphibians? No wonder the industry in Aus sucks... we cant import jack sh*t!

Counter argument - Pirhanas were found in QLD waterways many decades ago. Tilapia have decimated native fish stocks. American Cichlids are in Forest Lake - only a matter of time till they spread and destroy more natives. Cats and Dogs in most areas have to be registered. I don't like Cats and the damage they do to the environment is terrible so I understand part of your reasoning. Fact is that list is there for very good reason. Anyone on this site who is familar with PIJAC and the work they did dating back nearly 20 years will realise how close the following fish came to being banned: Red Devil, Trimac, Oscars, Jack Dempsey.. list goes on. There is really no reason that anyone should be able to keep species on that list. Rights and responcibilities have to be in balance. I have kept most species of legal fish. I have also studied the devastation done to native fish stocks. The list is very reasonable. There is no doubt that more fish WILL be added to that list. I can tell you something - what has happened in Forest Lake (and FNQ) is going to make it VERY hard for American Cichlid enthusiasts down the track.. You can't keep exotic animals that could damage native ecosystems so why should you be allowed to keep fish that do they same. (Just look at what happened in Pine River!) As far as your point about licensing - they do not want these fish here FULL STOP. Once they come in on permit they will no doubt end up spreading illegally anyway. Fish that have 20000 fry are a disaster waiting to happen. Look at what even the "humble" Pacu has done in PNG. Duty of Care - what if your kid was attacked by these fish if they got into your local creek.. Not having a go at you personally mate but I'm on both sides of this legislation and people need to understand why it is there and respect it. I can all but guarantee that list will be MUCH larger within 10 years due to aquarists doing the wrong thing.

Edited by none

Counter argument - Pirhanas were found in QLD waterways many decades ago. Tilapia have decimated native fish stocks. American Cichlids are in Forest Lake - only a matter of time till they spread and destroy more natives. Cats and Dogs in most areas have to be registered. I don't like Cats and the damage they do to the environment is terrible so I understand part of your reasoning. Fact is that list is there for very good reason. Anyone on this site who is familar with PIJAC and the work they did dating back nearly 20 years will realise how close the following fish came to being banned: Red Devil, Trimac, Oscars, Jack Dempsey.. list goes on. There is really no reason that anyone should be able to keep species on that list. Rights and responcibilities have to be in balance. I have kept most species of legal fish. I have also studied the devastation done to native fish stocks. The list is very reasonable. There is no doubt that more fish WILL be added to that list. I can tell you something - what has happened in Forest Lake (and FNQ) is going to make it VERY hard for American Cichlid enthusiasts down the track.. You can't keep exotic animals that could damage native ecosystems so why should you be allowed to keep fish that do they same. (Just look at what happened in Pine River!) As far as your point about licensing - they do not want these fish here FULL STOP. Once they come in on permit they will no doubt end up spreading illegally anyway. Fish that have 20000 fry are a disaster waiting to happen. Look at what even the "humble" Pacu has done in PNG. Duty of Care - what if your kid was attacked by these fish if they got into your local creek.. Not having a go at you personally mate but I'm on both sides of this legislation and people need to understand why it is there and respect it. I can all but guarantee that list will be MUCH larger within 10 years due to aquarists doing the wrong thing.

Yeah mate i agree with you, there is no real easy answer. It would be no problem for responsible aquarists that understand the responsibility to keep some fish (within reason) that occur on the noxious list, but the law is made for the idiots that dont think before they act. What about a fish like Boulengerchromis microlepis? how do they suppose a fish like this, or any fish coming from Lake Tanganyika for that matter, would survive in our water ways? (#1 most wanted fish by me is an Emperor pair!) And the smaller fish like shellies, Apistogramma and other dwarves often arent allowed in because of the bloody size regulations, when most of them never get above the allowable size!

Oooh Well-skis... nothing you or i can do really...

Yep I always like this stuff...it never makes sense if you ask me..whilst this is the noxious list..these lists including the importation list are almost a "fingers up" to any smart fish keeper in the hobby...so its all good to import a molly(enviromental impact: MASSIVE) whilst banning a calvus(surely a minimal enviromental impact fish infact I would be surprised if it lasted winter let alone a purple spotted gudgeon!)...sorry but these fish are NOT all based on environmental issues,some are paranoia/propaganda and still money rules..they wont cut out fish that are the bread and butter of the industry due to the money involved regardless of environmental impact(in other words screw the environment keep bringing in them mollies,guppies and yep even goldfish whilst banning fish that would be lucky to survive a month?!?!!?)...sweet to bring in Oscars but ban other americans(huh???).....I wont feel thankful for the list we get because its not even controlled by educated fishkeepers...they still bring in the fish that are detrimental to the native environment whilst banning ones that have buckleys of surviving...that's just stupid if you ask me..i know its not all of them but its definitely not an educated list...yes snakeheads make sense but a damn lot don't....also don't they think the cheap $1 fish have got more chance of being released into a creek as compared to a $100 wild caught fish kept by a true aquarium fish lover???????...they need to use some intelligence and free up fish that are more of a "niche" environmental issue and use that money(they are on a very decent hourly rate) to EDUCATE through pet shops...actual posters and signage in shops warning people of the risks of dumping fish and fines etc involved...the whole set up is stupid...Ive never seen a poster in any pet shop warning about dumping pet fish....and yet they allow the importation of the same fish that appeal to 12yr old kids and end up in the waterways... :noidea:..maybe they might clue in one day and actually talk with and use the best source of information available...the hobby itself..the clubs of aquarists etc...most of these guys making the lists and laws don't even know there fish stuff so why are they telling people whats right and worng when we know more than they do...reckon they should be asking and learning rather than telling....I think any smart fishkeeper wants to care for the native environment...this is one government department that needs educating and also to move forward from the 80s...

millivanilli.jpg

The additional species onto noxious list are approved months in advance. The black list of noxious species will continue to grow until there is only a white list (approved imported species) and black list. Essentially every grey listed fish will become noxious eventually. This has all been set out in the published government plan released several years ago.

Yep I always like this stuff...it never makes sense if you ask me..whilst this is the noxious list..these lists including the importation list are almost a "fingers up" to any smart fish keeper in the hobby...so its all good to import a molly(enviromental impact: MASSIVE) whilst banning a calvus(surely a minimal enviromental impact fish infact I would be surprised if it lasted winter let alone a purple spotted gudgeon!)...sorry but these fish are NOT all based on environmental issues,some are paranoia/propaganda and still money rules..they wont cut out fish that are the bread and butter of the industry due to the money involved regardless of environmental impact(in other words screw the environment keep bringing in them mollies,guppies and yep even goldfish whilst banning fish that would be lucky to survive a month?!?!!?)...sweet to bring in Oscars but ban other americans(huh???).....I wont feel thankful for the list we get because its not even controlled by educated fishkeepers...they still bring in the fish that are detrimental to the native environment whilst banning ones that have buckleys of surviving...that's just stupid if you ask me..i know its not all of them but its definitely not an educated list...yes snakeheads make sense but a damn lot don't....also don't they think the cheap $1 fish have got more chance of being released into a creek as compared to a $100 wild caught fish kept by a true aquarium fish lover???????...they need to use some intelligence and free up fish that are more of a "niche" environmental issue and use that money(they are on a very decent hourly rate) to EDUCATE through pet shops...actual posters and signage in shops warning people of the risks of dumping fish and fines etc involved...the whole set up is stupid...Ive never seen a poster in any pet shop warning about dumping pet fish....and yet they allow the importation of the same fish that appeal to 12yr old kids and end up in the waterways... :noidea:..maybe they might clue in one day and actually talk with and use the best source of information available...the hobby itself..the clubs of aquarists etc...most of these guys making the lists and laws don't even know there fish stuff so why are they telling people whats right and worng when we know more than they do...reckon they should be asking and learning rather than telling....I think any smart fishkeeper wants to care for the native environment...this is one government department that needs educating and also to move forward from the 80s...

millivanilli.jpg

My post was purely on the noxious list not the permissable import list. Regarding the permissable import list - PIJAC had 20 years of lobbying to get fish added to that list which they did - Frontosa is an example. Personally I can not understand how a Auratus can be imported but an Electric Yellow can't (to give but one example). These issues are seperate however - Noxious list should not be confused with IMPORTABLE list.

The additional species onto noxious list are approved months in advance. The black list of noxious species will continue to grow until there is only a white list (approved imported species) and black list. Essentially every grey listed fish will become noxious eventually. This has all been set out in the published government plan released several years ago.

I am all but certain that will not happen. Noxious list will always remain seperate. Some fish people regard as "Grey" offered for sale in the RARE FISH section will indeed be added to the noxious list in time. There is no plan - nor could it easily ever be done - to ban the hundreds of varieties of African Cichlids (to take but one example) that are here and have been here for years. The only Malawi allowable imports are Blue Dolphins, some Peacocks and Auratus. Based on your scenario every other species would be on the black list - it will not happen. What may (likely WILL) happen is some of the larger predatory Africans will be banned. The rest will remain. Noxious List will always be seperate. There has and will always be a permissable import list and there will always be other fish that have been here for years - are here in every pet shop that remain. Impossible to impose a black list that would cover fish in every fish tank in Australia. It would only drive the prices up and the incentives for smuggling up and the authorities know this.

millivanilli.jpg

Agree with everything here! It all comes down to education... and you are damn right that mollies are more detrimental to the environment and also more likely to be released.

Ban the Molly!

My post was purely on the noxious list not the permissable import list. Regarding the permissable import list - PIJAC had 20 years of lobbying to get fish added to that list which they did - Frontosa is an example. Personally I can not understand how a Auratus can be imported but an Electric Yellow can't (to give but one example). These issues are seperate however - Noxious list should not be confused with IMPORTABLE list.

yes I do agree my rant was mainly aimed at the import list....and you are right [MENTION=8516]none[/MENTION] mate definitely different lists so maybe not relevant here..guess I just get annoyed at the lack of respect for hobbyists shown by a department that has less idea about it than the people it affects...the noxious list doesn't feature a whole lot of fish that would be aquarium relevant(damn I do like pike cichlids and giant snakeheads though :eyebrows:) but as Winston pointed out...it has the potential to grow and include fish that we will miss out on in future and that's not necessarily enviromentally based or respectful of people who DO care about the enviroment...I do think the lobbying to receive frontosa(over a certain size limit) a win for the hobby though in general its a very sad position...can I trade an Oscar for a motaguense :eyebrows:.i guess a small victory is still something but its like the plebs being thankful for crumbs from the feast if you ask me...I reckon I could get a few fish allowed if I threw millions of dollars at the department and to the right people and that's sad..is the environment really the issue or money...why can I get koi 3 hours south???..why can I legally bring in guppies and yet I see them in the creek down the road....but yes this is the noxious list..sorry again mate I think a lot of us share some of this anger..

780.gif

I am not very well read on the whole noxious list or how people go about importing stuff. If the pet stores don't have it I can't get it is how I go about fish keeping.

I just want to ask what the deal is with datnoids? Why are they so impossible to find and super expensive. I never see them on the noxious list and there is zero chance they will breed in the wild. They are an amazing fish to own, but spending $1000 for a juvenile is pretty insane.