BarryToucher

Rainbow cichlid breeding

Hey guys I'm Nate,

I have a 4.5x1.4x1.25 Central American tank who has a pair of rainbows, keyholes and firemouths..

I've noticed that my rainbows have become beyond territorial and have even attacked me and anything that goes near the corner they've claimed... One of the pair will always be in that spot and as I've read that rainbows are normally quite peaceful.

So my question is does this sound like spawning behavior?

They are very colourful, and to me this behaviour isn't normal.

Water is between 7-7.5pH, kh around 40dh, the general hardness is around 100

0 nitrites and very low nitrates..

I use Indian almond leaf to make the water softer and lower the ph as the water here is around a 9pH with a harness of around 200...

So if these guys are breeding, what do I do with the fry once they hatch? Do I siphon them out Into a 15L tank and feed them crushed up flakes and blended up frozen blood worms?

aga9y5u6.jpg

Thank you in advance to everyone =]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep breeding behaviour, likely have eggs or a pit of wrigglers already.

If you lose this batch they will likely have another within a month.

Finely crushed flakes should work ok as a fry food.

Would fill new tank with water from this tank, and run an air powered sponge filter in it.

Dont forget to try get pictures of parents in spawn dress.

makes selling fry easier!

Cheers donny!

I'm trying to picture you! I'm the guy who comes down a bit who's sister has the 2 turtles and her bf keeps leaving the frozen food out???

I've got pics of the two. I can't see any eggs or babies yet, once they hatch I'll siphon them out carefully so I don't get relentlessly attacked by the parents lol into a 1 footer with an air sponge filter =]

8yzyhyjy.jpg

e4eryhuv.jpg

They are looking amazing at the moment! Absolutely gorgeous fish!

These are a really under rated fish, a breeding pair of Herotilapia multispinosa (aka rainbow cichlid) was responsible for converting me from a tropical fish keeper and breeder into a cichlid keeper and breeder around 30 years ago.

I used to work at Cannon Hill in the 1980's and every lunch hour I used to drive a short distance to a small lfs that I can't remember the exact location of to eat my sandwiches and talk about and look at fish. I can't remember the name of the owner, but he was a member of the Bayside Aquarium Society, and over a period of time talked me into joining the club and buying many more tanks. I walked into his shop one day and there was a brightly coloured pair of rainbow cichlids guarding a cloud of dust like fry. And I was hooked, I couldn't get rid of my tropicals quick enough to turn their tank over to these guys. And I have been with cichlids ever since, americans for 10 years and then turning to Africans when I moved to the Gold Coast 20 years ago.

Cheers, Doug

These are my first cichlids to breed! And I love these guys!

I didn't think I'd be lucky enough to get a breeding pair when I ordered 2 of each fish from livefish!

I'm looking at another 2 foot at the moment.. Will need to get one within the next week or so! I'll just set it up the same way, pool filter sand, a smaller internal and rocks/pots!

I'm quite excited!!!

Yep by far the hardest part in breeding them is buying a male and female.

Aint that easy to pick when small!

Reckon I should get them into their new tank now? Lol they were only in it a few days ago haha.

Or should I wait, they are in the "community" Central American tank at the moment.