sjn5188

Breeding ideas?

I have a setup I would like to breed something new in. I was using it for shrimp but now i'm over them. The 10 tanks are 50cmx30cmx40cm (lxwxh) all on a five foot sump with sponge filters in each tank.

I don't want to run heaters so something that can tolerate cold water. Any Ideas?

You could always go with some nice A-grade livebearers, shouldn't be too hard to acquire and I imagine anything of nice quality would be easy to get rid off (ie selling fry)

sword_koi_100529a1_w0480-460x280_zps48af02f3.jpg

koiSwordtail2_zps04123e85.jpg

1_bi_zps98393c07.jpg

Bumble20Bee20Platy_zps861b9da8.png

platy_bw_100513a2_w0480_zpsdc19eb06.jpg

I could even start you off with some of my own bumblebee and panda platy stock (the last 2). Mine breed happily in an unheated tank so I don't expect you'd run into any issues there.

Other than that you would also easily be able to throw a trio of various bristlenose / L numbers in each tank. Here's a photo of one of my peppermint bristlenose,

IMG_8643_zps452a5715.jpg

Hope this gives you some ideas :)

Edited by Robbo89

Just realised that the bristlenose probably wouldn't enjoy the cold too much, might need to throw a heater in there for them.

One jager 300W in your sump should get the whole system up to at least 22-24 degrees if you are keen on that option.

Only issue I've personally found with the rarer live bearers is sourcing high quality stock... Initially begun by purchasing 15 bumblebee and panda Platies off livefish.com about 2 months ago, and today have 4 left.. And not 4 A-grade specimens either. I've since moved onto ordering through stores and smiths aquarium has been great on both availability and quality there. If you do go down that path it would be sweet to have someone to exchange bloodlines and advice with! :D