Natho88

lighting for planted tank

so I'm just looking for some options in regards to lighting for my discus planted tank not after anything special just after a light fitting or bulb to keep plants healthy and lush and that can be on through the day for there growth not after crazy growth currently have a 4ft with 32 watt t8 bulb not for for plants! that i wanna use (what bulb should i replace it with ?) and a fluval 4ft led marine light which is on at night for display purposes onlydont wanna spend alot just want something to keep the plants healthy

i have already got some anubias on drift wood and some others that I'm not sure on names will post some pics

any suggestion much apprecitated

tanks 6x2x2

They do come in 12 or 240v versions. I chose the 240 ones so I didn't have to work out a power supply just add a 3 pin plug to the end of the 1ft of lead.

Previously I had 2 4ft twin t12 units so have dropped from about 160w to 40w granted I feel the lighting level is reasonably mellow and suits the fish tho I have contemplated adding 2 to 4 more floodlights or some 5050 smd strip for my viewing pleasure.

Considering most of he freshwater fish we keep doubt I would want to strap on a mask and snorkel to explore their natural environment when the can be quite muddy and murky ;)

Sent from my who cares using Tapatalk

I use ebay led floodlights on my 6x2x2 and they do the job nicely. Much cheaper to buy and to run than the alternatives I looked at.

how many lights are you running and do you have a pic

Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_218 using Tapatalk

I run 2 50W LED floodlights off eBay on my 4ft planted, they are awesome! Make sure you get Australia supply with Cree led so there is no issue. Mine were $160 for both and they came with plugs and a 3 year warrantee. I have heard issues from overseas stock needing rewiring and having faulty LEDs.

Hi, I currently have an cheapo LED 3ft light off ebay and my plants aren't doing the greatest. I think LED is the way to go. I can't afford the electricity otherwise. I am wanting to get a new LED light but I really dont understand watts and all of that stuff.. could someone please recommend me a 3ft LED ebay light. How many watts? what colour etc? I would really really appreciate it!!!!

Sorry for taking over the thread, I have been looking everywhere for stuff on LEDs on this forum but I don't know what I'm looking for.

Please help :)

I run 2 50W LED floodlights off eBay on my 4ft planted, they are awesome! Make sure you get Australia supply with Cree led so there is no issue. Mine were $160 for both and they came with plugs and a 3 year warrantee. I have heard issues from overseas stock needing rewiring and having faulty LEDs.

cheers for that, would 3x50w be ok for a 6ft planted tank

Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_218 using Tapatalk

meguma6e.jpg

I have 2x30w and a 50w in the middle on a 4ft. I previously had 2x54 t5ho and a 36w t8. The difference after changing over to the LED floods has been quite surprising with really fast growth on all of my plants. I also really like the shimmer that I get on the white wall behind the tank. As someone else has said, stick to Aussie seller with a warranty as the high watt diodes are not the most reliable going around but at least the sellers I have dealt with have been awesome at sorting out any issues.

For smaller tanks I go a up aqua pro ź even a 4ft. Any thing bigger well up to u I run two line of fluro tubes and some blue led stripping and my plabts are looking stunning this is in a 6x2x2 fully planted discus tank. Just plane old 865 tubes from bunnings bout $5 each

cheers for that' date=' would 3x50w be ok for a 6ft planted tank Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_218 using Tapatalk[/quote']

Here is the link to my LED Floodlights which I bought off eBay:http://bit.ly/1nxbKrb

Only took 3 days to ship and have had no issues whatsoever with mine. I believe that 3 will be ok but if you have space for four and if you can afford it then why not, the more the better in my opinion.

Make sure you mount them about 15 cm from the water level so that the light distribution is not to focused.

Nope not all cob's are Cree. In fact, I'm not even sure the ones in the link provided are. From my own experience and those of others, I can tell you that the ones from ozdecorz are the best and their service is top notch if something does go wrong.

The power consumption will be the same with 4 x 10w but you will get arguably more light.

How deep is your tank? If it's 1.5ft or more I would use 3x30w to be able to grow higher light plants in a 4ft. And with the 3 year warranty that you get it's well worth it.

I remember reading somewhere that a power point can handle 2000w so drawing 40w should be no issue at all. If someone with a bit more knowledge could chime in it would be appreciated as I would to get something like this wrong.