mortie

What happens if ......

if the common has the albino recessive gene(which is fairly likely) there will be a decent percentage of albino fry, if not you should not get any albino fry at all, have a look for punnet squares to help you get your head around the dominant/recessive gene options

Don't think comments like that need to be made mate. But get ur point cause I bought the adult pair of commons wanting to breed them then I find out I shouldn't cause of the males albino gene.

Enlighten me... your clearly breeding common cross albino. Get some good quality albinos, =100% albino fry, spread the love, problem solved. Just don't mix the pool if you can ;)

Yeah I thought it was cool that they through out some albino. [MENTION=5524]Daharkazangel[/MENTION] I'm not cross breeding anything intentionally i have a pair of long fin commons, short fin commons and albino in one tank until I get some more tanks setup. It's the male common that has got the albino gene in him as I have just found out.

I crossed a orange spot male with marble female and grew out the fry. The fry looked like common bn but had goldy and black strip finns. Since then the fry i grew up have breed and the fry batch were 50/50 albino and coloured. Will be interesting to see how they turn out.

Yeah cause its ALL about the money.................. Stuff the quality of the species -_-

No of course it's not about money, that's why you dedicate separate tanks to breeding these particular fish by the 100's&1000's because you want to keep them ALL

You do all this breeding just for the quality of the species right???

pfft @ you.

Edited by th3f0rg0t3n

I accidentally lost a common female in my albino breeding tank. He had thrown 100% albinos till he found her. I got 1 batch of all commons out of the pair before I realised that she'd gotten through. Needless to say it took an hour to strip the tank and separate again. Never intended to sell the mixes so when they get picked off in the community tank I don't mind. But yeah. He'd never had a single common colouring until that point but that one batch was all common.

why does it matter when your talking a fish that is 60-80c and 80c-$1.20 , wouldn't you just be happy to have a few albino's along the line?

Where do you draw the line? So if you paid $100 or $150 for Long Fin Albino and they were spitting out Long fin common or better yet if they were spitting out short fin common because someone wanted to pop a long fin albino and a short fin common together? 60c - $1.20 fish do not stay that price - someone along the way will pay more as they mature and sooner or later someone will want to breed them and end up getting a surprise mix.

Its just good to try and avoid this where possible.

It is very easy to get a mix out of spawn but ask someone like [MENTION=2388]Daydream[/MENTION] how long it took him to get albino longfin breeding true?

Why is it when you ask a simple question people assume the worst and get up you for some thing that is not intentional they just can't ask you is this what you are doing. I thought this is a hobbie where you come together as a community and talk fish not getting behind a computer and talk big. That's what i hate most about this site and why I don't like posting.

You were offered helpful advice by passionate hobbyists who are trying to protect what they love, the way I see it, if you don't have enough tanks for individual species/colour you should remove the breeding log all together until you have the sufficient room to do so, my common colony is nearly 100 adults at the moment and as hard as I try they still produce some albino fry which to me is something frustrating and I am trying to stop, unfortunatly so far that is proving almost impossible