billfish

lighting confusion?

Ive been looking at led lights lately and after having t5s on my tanks planted tank globes were red globes . But some of the led lights ive been reading the info on are just blue and white diodes but they claim to be for planted tanks . Is it different for leds or are they just advertised a bit dishonest? Some of the lights are e bay ones , wasnt gunna buy one just nosing around , just comparing to the fluval planted light

There is alot of confusion and false truths surrounding correct lighting for planted tanks. The simplest explanation is you need blue light for leaf development and red light for stem elongation. "White" light is actually in the green spectrum and is purely for visual aesthetics.

The fact is NO, i repeat NO LED lighting currently available is as good as T5's for planted aquariums and that includes the stuff that costs thousands of dollars.

That's not to say you can't grow plants with LED lighting, just don't expect to have a successful high tech planted tank growing demanding plants using them.

Did people ever use T5's to grow dope? I always thought MH was the route serious growers took.

But have a look at professional hydroponics setups using LED's and you will soon see why they are not suitable for aquatic use. If you want a washed out red tank then go for it but the fact is NO aquarium LED lighting on the market is as good as conventional lighting, IMO. If they were, most professional aquascapers would be using them.

Like i said, you can grow plants with LED's but their applications are limited as even your in store setups prove. For those wanting to grow some basic plants and are energy conscious then absolutely they could follow this route. For those needing more from their lights then it's a total waste of money.

I was on the verge of spending $2500 on what is regarded as some of the very best LED lighting available. I even contacted the American manufacturer direct for more information about their products. However it's hard to justify spending this kind of money when there is not one piece of evidence available anywhere to prove it's worth in a planted tank. Also worth noting that the high end LED lighting is no more energy efficient than conventional lighting anyhow.

I guess there is a reason LED are so popular for MARINE tanks.

Edited by beencees

Watt for watt, correct LED's produce better growth in both plants and corals.

Never forget that the part of the coral that uses light is a symbiotic algae.

AKA a primitive plant.

In the case of this symbiotic algae it craves more of the blue, where as most freshwater plants crave the red.

Its a simple case of adding more colours or white to even out the colour palette to achieve natural colouration, or even enhanced natural colours.

I would have thought the display tanks at AOA showed the power of LED for use in high light planted aquariums.

And they are only middle of the range LED lights.

If you want to talk real high end, theres no way T5 can compare.

They have no punch.

To each their own, as I said.

but LED's have already surpassed T5, and as they continue to evolve will make T5 as obselete as T8.

However it's hard to justify spending this kind of money when there is not one piece of evidence available anywhere to prove it's worth in a planted tank.

I can think of plenty of superb planted tanks that disagree, and thus many gifted aquascapers.

I dont want to get into a personal disagreement, but understand I have seen many many lighting technologies come and go in the industry.

It was only a few years ago that people refused to believe coral could be kept alive under LED lighting.

The same arguments all over again.

Now halide is dead in marine.

I wish it wasnt as I was a huge fan.

But the fact is, LED has evolved far past the capabilities of halides, and its still a technology in its infancy.

Like i said, LED's certainly seem to perform for marine tanks.

I also don't want to completely hijack this thread but i believe people deserve a balanced view on things from people other than those who could quite possibly be biased by having an agenda in trying to aid sales.

As you said, you have seen technologies come and go, although to assume you are the only one to do so would seem a bit arrogant. Several of these technologies you touted as the best thing since sliced bread to me (and no doubt others) upon their arrival only to admit (with prompting) how wrong you were about them after the fact.

I love learning and researching and finding out facts to gain an accurate and honest understanding of things, not just blindly following a salespersons spiel. I don't find much to support your views on LED lighting for the types of planted tanks i'm referring to and certainly LED's have a very long way to go before they are comparable to T5's.

I think enough has been said but if you'd like to continue this discussion by all means bring it up with me next time i'm in store. Until then it's probably all we can hope to agree to disagree ;)

Cheers.

Neither of us are spring chickens mate, and we sell everything from T5 to LED cannons at AOA. Options are what we supply and opinions aside we always try to give a customer what they want.

Not quite sure what tech toy you refer to, that I was later humbled by........ but if I didnt get excited by new kit I would be in the wrong job!

I have always said those not excited to open the boxes on new fish day, should not be in the industry. The same could certainly be said about the next generation of equipment and supplies.

T5 lights are better for the industry because they are a consumable and = repeat sales.

LED's are a one off, unless you just have to have the latest and greatest model.

Cant stop the future

:)

Neither of us are spring chickens mate, and we sell everything from T5 to LED cannons at AOA. Options are what we supply and opinions aside we always try to give a customer what they want.

Not quite sure what tech toy you refer to, that I was later humbled by........ but if I didnt get excited by new kit I would be in the wrong job!

I have always said those not excited to open the boxes on new fish day, should not be in the industry. The same could certainly be said about the next generation of equipment and supplies.

T5 lights are better for the industry because they are a consumable and = repeat sales.

LED's are a one off, unless you just have to have the latest and greatest model.

Cant stop the future

:)

I think some people in any hobby use something and are unable to let go and upgrade to something newer. Seen it with Rc and people not using lipo batteries.

Haha now I'm more confused about a new light....haha but I can't say I have ever gone to any pet shop and not asked the a staff member "what do you thing about this product would this do the job" and 99% of the time they explain the difference between them and wat would work best for you fish I have never got the feeling in by any aquarium shop or pet shop that they push a sale onto me they tell you wat there knowledge of the product and they leave u with the choice every one have there thoughts on wat they like and how they do it I like smoking Winfield blue no one at Coles try's to sell me white ox...! So ppl like to spend $30.00 on 500g fish food I like to spend $28.00 on 2kg delivered and it's the same....! And a person at a well known shop told me bout it and told me bout bicarbonate soda and Epsom salt after water changes for ph so they have saved me heaps of money and giving me extra knowledge and thing that are better for my fish so I have the up most respect for the ppl that work in them...they all do a great job....;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk