I was wondering whether a Porcelain floor tile would be safe to use within an aquarium. I am building a Turtle dock and I have seen people using tiles as their base. This tile will be hovering above the water level, so it won't be wet 24/7. However, I have been thinking about adding a shallow water section to the dock as well and was hoping to use the same tile (this would be submerged 24/7). Here is a image of the dock I have built so far.

post-12519-14711631463943_thumb.jpg

Here is a link to the tile that has been purchased and shown within the photos above:

Cotto 30 x 30cm Palatino Metal Porcelain Floor Tile I/N 6660458 | Bunnings Warehouse

post-12519-14711631463644_thumb.jpg

post-12519-14711631463807_thumb.jpg

Edited by AussieRicho

Where I am, to get perspex cut to size would be much more costly than a $3 tile. But it would be safer yes. If Doug has been using them I might take the plunge and just use them. I can always place in the Bath tub and test the water after a day or two before placing in the tank I guess.

Porcelain is inert and safe, people have been drinking and eating off it for centuries. The Chinese first perfected it in the Shang Dynasty back in 1600 BC. One of its main ingredients is kaolin which people take for the runs. So yeah its as safe as glass.