Hello, my tropical fish and I have bought a new house and will shortly be moving from lovely Windaroo to Flagstone Rise in Jimboomba, the family's coming too!

My question is, what is the safest way to transport and temporarily 'store' my fish (2 to 3 hours tops) to cause them the minimum amount of stress until I get their tanks refilled and settled.

And, is clean rainwater suitable for tank use as I have only ever used town water.

Cheers

Pat.

Hi Pat, I just made a move... I used some new 60l black rubbish bins from bunnings about $10 and a couple of battery operated air pumps.... worked a treat! Rain water is so much better than town water..iiifff it comes of a clean roof?

Jimboomba has a very large population of fish nuts, you will love it!

And I have to agree, rainwater is awesome. Very jealous of those that have it........ unless they run out :D

I have a heap of 20L buckets with battery powered air pumps that I use, but it all really depends on the type/size/number of fish you are moving.

Having 60L rubbish bins would allow you to have a heater in there, which may be helpful if we have a chilly day.

Rainwster is good if you have those suitable fish ( to make things easier) but remember theres pollution in air be it dust,industrial or exhaust ect. When I collect rain I let it rain for half an hour b4 I think about collecting it. Even then you be surprised the amount of muck still there. But it does taste beautiful and refreshing to drink.

Hello, my tropical fish and I have bought a new house and will shortly be moving from lovely Windaroo to Flagstone Rise in Jimboomba, the family's coming too!

My question is, what is the safest way to transport and temporarily 'store' my fish (2 to 3 hours tops) to cause them the minimum amount of stress until I get their tanks refilled and settled.

And, is clean rainwater suitable for tank use as I have only ever used town water.

Cheers

Pat.

If your fish have been in townwater and you transport them in townwater to your new house, just be careful the water parametres will more then likely be completely different.

Rainwater is generally much softer water, however I have found everything from south american fish and all plants love it. Plants grow like weeds in rainwater!!!

Edited by bazz