Hey all,

Looking to set up a earth eater tank with Geophagus sp. "Tapajos Orange Head" and Satanoperca leucosticta within the next few months and just had a few questions.

1: Which tank size would be better 4*2*2.5 (2.5 tall) or a 5*2*2. Would the extra 1" length be more better than the height? Both are same volume.

2: With each sized tank would I be able to keep small groups say 3-4 of both Tapajos and leucostictas?

3: Tank mates will probably be a group of schooling fish med-large sized tetras. Would 1 or 2 plecos be alright with them or a bit too crowded for bottom feeders?

That's all for now thanks in advance.

Cheers Damo

1. I would go for a 5x2x2 or 4x2.5x2 (2.5 wide) but it's up to you.

2. Yeah I would keep 6-7 tapajos and 3 or so green horse face

3. Plecos poop a lot and most people have white play sand with earth eaters so it shows up really bad lol. But bristlenose aren't quite as bad. And tetras do well but the odd one may disappear if they aren't large enough.

Ps. 4. Get some thread fin acara :) my favourites (heckili).

Thanks

Laurie

Thanks for the reply Laurie.

I was thinking the bigger base footprint the better but there is a nice 4*2*2.5 going cheapish so that's why I was asking.

I think I read some where that Thread Fin Acara were not good to mix with the other 2 because they are slightly more aggressive? They are stunning fish and would love to keep them but would adding another bigger species to the tank cause problems? Say 4 Taps 4 horse and 2 Heckelii?

Also with regards to the 2 sand sifters what depth of sand should I start of with?

Cheers Damo

I had them in with both green horse face and tapajos and they were fine. Maybe about 3-5cm of fine sand would be fine. And yeah I would go with the 5fter :)

I have done a bit of measuring and although I can fit the 5fter I can not place it where I would like it to go so have gone with the 4*2*2.5.

With regards to filtration the tank will have a Fx5 on it. Judging by the specs that will provide very good filtration for the tank correct? I was thinking I could also add a massive sponge filter and hide it behind big rocks /dw in the back corner for as addition filtration and oxygen.

Also this will be my largest tank so far (biggest 2 years ago was 250L) so a little unsure on what the water change requirements would be. I worked out that the tank is about 550L. What % weekly would you recommend I change or would it be better to go a bigger fortnightly change.

Picking up the tank next week so expect a journal.

Cheers Damo

either tank would be fine

i would keep about 5 of each. odd numbers are better than even numbers and 5 would be my minimum

i have kept and bred both (and many other geos) over the years.

My tips would include 2" pool filter sand, some nice big bits of driftwood with grafting plants attached (geos will eventually always dig up and plants in the gravel), 50% water change per week, excellent fitration (sump would be great for that sized tank), good quality and variety of food.

They are great fish to keep with a good nature and very active when happy. spawning pairs can be a little agro at times but in a community tank the agro is shared out.

I currently have orange heads and leucos in my tank. they all spawn about once a fortnight if i am diligent with my water quality.

hope that helps

Thanks for the insight guys.

Just wondering with sand if there is any reason you use pool sand? I had a quick look at pool sand is like double the price of play sand. I have used the play sand before with africans but would the play sand be ok with Geos?

Richgro 20kg Play Sand I/N 3022506 | Bunnings Warehouse

Poseidon 15kg Zeo-Clor Sand Replacement Filters I/N 3090117 | Bunnings Warehouse

Cheers Damo

Mattzilla is spot on.

With the hecklii they can be mixed but I wouldnt in that size tank. They can be a more aggro fish at times. And with small tetras they will disappear overnight.

But the OH and leuco wont harm tetra or cory's if you throw some in.

Not sure on the pool sand/play sand thing. I have always used play sand. Could be an aesthetic thing or size and coarse of the granules of the sand.

I would only stock one type of fish in a 4x2x2.5 but thats just my personal preference haha.

I do miss geo's alot. And having a 4x3x2 sitting in the shed never helps.

20121219_1545200.jpg

Thats a pic of dads community geo tank. I think thats the 10x2x2

Anymore questions just ask away!

Cheers zac

late reply sorry,

i have only ever used pool filter sand so i guess that's why i use it. if play sand is clean and the right size then i guess it's ok to use

cheers