I'm got a 54L Juwell Korall donated by relatives which has been running just fine until the filter died late last week.

PetBarn was just about the only option for picking up a replacement quickly, so I wound up getting the Tank Maid Pro 400. Glad I didn't go for the 700L as even this one has massively more flow than the OEM model.

However just a couple of days in and it's become incredibly noisy with a loud humming/buzzing noise emanating from the tank, which wasn't there in the first few hours of operation. It's so loud you can clearly hear it at the furthest end of our 3 bedroom home - it's as far away a it could be.

Is this normal for this brand? Is there a relatively price-conscious brand that is quiet?

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the replies all!

Yes - internal filter.

I had already inspected the impeller and there were no visible issues. It's fully submerged (at least two inches under the water) and I've played with various heights to see if that makes a difference. I've turned the venturi on and off and it doesn't change (except adding a loud bubble sound if I fully open it) and I've checked the media containers for any debris. It's also not touching the tank except for its suckers.

Have you looked to see if the rubber bearings are still present?! If the shaft isn't located properly in the bearings (actually they're more a bush than anything) ten as the impeller turns it'll spin off center to where the strongest pole is in the motor. Had this once on my otto 800 internal, cleaned it, put it back together and found it making tonnes of noise. Later found the rubber sitting in the sink!

Alternatively it could be the motor. Does it sounds more mechanical or electrical?? If you know the difference....

Yeah my otto 800l/he is whisper quiet, till

My co2 gets pumped through it!

I'd defs take it back mate. No little internal like that should sound like a coffee grinder!! Any visible damage on the impeller?? Another train of thought is that the shaft may have come loose through the magnetic rotor causing what would normally be tight tolerances (read 10thou of inch or less ) between the impeller and the housing or the impeller has come loose on the shaft and done the same.

Believe it or not I see it all the time at work, when a pump comes in that should push 10000 l/m and it's only doing 2000 it's because the clearances between impeller as housing has been worn. Mind you last time I saw it everything was smashed beyond belief!!

Just take it back provided you've still got your receipt!

If you just want to try with the little internal to submerge it and turn it upside down and then right way up a few times and see if there is an air pocket that gets released with the movement. Try it switched off and also switched on and see if that fixes the issue.