tutters187

Fish room insulation ideas

I used it on a barn style shed home on the ceilings worked ok but not as great as they said, can't beat good old styrofoam I say. Lined my old fish room (shed) I used 60mm styrofoam on all walls and roof and that worked great?

Use something similar to hold bats on garage door got bats in the walls behind the plaster and cool and coasy in the roof 7kw air con.Blooby fish and shrimp are looked after better than me the missus and kids.

Best way is to get the rolls of insulation bubble rap or foam and screw it to the frame of the shed on the inside. Put a washer on the screw to stop it pulling away. Go Up the wall over the roof and down the over wall. Tuck 30mm down between the slab and wall sheets. Lap the insulation by 100mm and tape the laps with insulation tape. Insulation works best with an air pocket between the outer shell the structure and the insulation. Heat the whole room to desired temp with a fan heat with a thermostat. Remember put coloured side out and silver side faceing you to reflect the heat to the tanks from the heater. Depending on the heater you may get away with useing the lower setting and put it on a timer so it only comes on in the cooler hours of the day.

I used Styrofoam broccoli boxes in my man cave (colourbond shed). I think I went overkill because I ended up with about 75mm of insulation in the walls. I’ve yet to do the roof, but already there’s been an extremely noticeable difference. We were so impressed with the results we used Styrofoam as well as the required Australian standard insulation in the house we’re building.

Hi Stace,

I got a roof blanket put on the roof frame on my colourbond shed while it was being built before the roof was screwed on. Likewise, I got foil insulation put over the frame before the wall panels were screwed on. Then when the shed was finished, I got big sheets of 60mm high density foam and cut them to size so they fit neatly between the frame and the C panels, didn't even have to screw them, they just sit there nice and tight. I also got some thinner foam panels laser cut so they fit neatly between the bracing gaps in my access doors and then riveted a thin metal skin over those to insulate the access doors. And lastly, I had insulated roller shutters installed over my windows to minimise heat loss through the windows in winter and allow me to let plenty of air in during summer.

And I use a reverse cycle split system air-conditioner in the room. I rarely use it during summer, as the temp in the tanks never goes over 28 even in the hottest weather, but I do use it occasionally for my own comfort when working in the fishroom on a really hot muggy day :)

The air-con is great for heating the shed, it has a timer so I mainly have it come on around mid-night and go off at 6:00am to cover the coldest part of the night, and the shed retains the warm air then if it is left closed up.

Cheers, Doug

foam is very cheap i wouldn't waste time cutting boxes if you use foam see these guys they cut to size

Polystyrene Products Queensland

I didn’t waste my time only cutting boxes. I multitasked by watching TV. I’d do it again if I had the need. The money I saved will be spent on tractor diesel to build my rally track on our mountain.

I used a combination of bubble foil and styrofoam on my garage panel door. Bubble foil went on first, it still bleeds heat/cold into the garage so I added the 30mm foam on top of that, works a treat, only problem is that you can still feel the cold on the metal parts of the panel that you cant cover, and if you have a double garage door which is 16 panels all about a metre each, times 2 for top and bottom of each panel and say 4 cm width for each section of exposed metal, is quite a lot of surface area still exposed. Need to find some thermal tape . Garage also has batts in the roof and a whirly bird with ceiling vent which is closed during winter. Painted the garage floor too as this prevents heat from bleeding through the slab.

The tank rack has 20mm foam to the rear and I have done the same on the sides held on with velcro, although one side is currently off as I am doing work on the lighting on one level. I have a thermometer on the wall not far from the rack to check the ambient temperature of the garage, tonight it is at 21 c, not as good as would like with 24 c being my preference but a hell of a lot better than last year before I inuslated the garage ceiling and panel door . I have noticed that the house is now warmer as a result of this process as it was cooler in summer.

I have heaters on in all the tropical tanks tonight as they have dropped down to 19-20 c. Need to find a way to keep the ambient temp of garage at 24 c. Don't know what more I can do ?

As danceswithdingoes said, reverse cycle air conditioners are great. I use a portable one in my fishroom which has also been insulated with foam. The fishroom is 12 metres long and 3 metres wide with between 6000 and 7000 litres of aquarium water. No probs at all during winter. Cheers Warwick.

I might try an oil heater in the garage to get the ambient up. Found a draught from the back door last night, pushed an old baby muslin under it to block it, will get a draught excluder today, also noticed the cold coming off the glass in the door (its wooden with a glass panel) so I put 20mm foam in the pane and taped it up with duct tape. Every bit counts.

It would be great if someone could come up with an Aquarium heater that ran on chemical reaction rather than electricty. There are gel packs that are reuseable but they have to be reboiled and there is now way of controlling temperature once it is underway.

It would be great if someone could come up with an Aquarium heater that ran on chemical reaction rather than electricty. There are gel packs that are reuseable but they have to be reboiled and there is now way of controlling temperature once it is underway.

I am sure that post just put you on some government watch list

lol

Somehow I dont think my sodium drip aquarium heater would catch on........