Alright, so I've gotta (wanna) buy some gravel for my upcoming 8fter.

I'm just tossing up a few different colours at the moment.

I originally though solid black but after seeing how much it's worth I'd rather stay away.

Local landscape supplies has river gravel which is kinda yellowy brown, but I just don't know how that'll look!

If anyone has pics of gravel in their tanks and what it looks like, post them!

This is the tank I'll be filling (thanks Mike!)

1B7BB916-73BB-4BEF-9D0D-39238B03096A_zps0rqjz7n7.jpg

Finn

Depends on what fish, I think my Bolivian rams and Geos look way better over a lighter substrate, otherwise they get grey barring over them. If you get sand I'd recommend a sand sifting species to keep turning it over so algae does not discolour it.

Go with your original hearts desire and stick with black! :) you will regret skimping later on down the track... buckets of the stuff often go for cheap second hand on here or gumtree.

for the fish you listed it could also look nice with a nice natural red river gravel

Mate Id get Black Diamond Sand mate it looks amazing wth white fish wont take to much to do the bottom of that tank just want a thin layer wth GG anyway or u will get to much veg mater build up in it

I bought some pool filter sand from the pool shop on Pickering St for $15 per 20kg. Thought it was going to be white, though it turned out to be a dark yellow/light brown. To me it looks much more natural for my driftwood and plant tank. Very happy here. The grains size is also closer to the 'ideal' that some people talk about as well cf. play sand. Not sure whether it makes much of a difference...

post-11129-14711631482578_thumb.jpg

I use black gravel tank along with a black background as IMO I think it highlights plants and fish more. I totally understand your point on cost though especially if you are trying to fill an 8 foot tank.

It also seems Mike as moved up from VB to Stella and silconed and empty to the top of your tank....

Sandblasting products are being used by keepers in the us and japan. From what i read, it doesnt alter chemistry of the water. I have personally used black diamond and red garnet. Just make sure though on the grit size are some are really coarse and sharp.

They also have some glass bead type that you may want to consider.

I dunno, they all seem either metallic or just very sharp!

Have you got a link to the Black Diamond?

I always found white pool sand hard to keep clean. You would always see black poo sitting on top of it no matter how much gravel vac you did. In my 6x2x2 atm I have black gravel with red devils and convicts, sets off their colours pretty well, will see if I can get some pics

I have an 8ft'r with 80kg's of black diamond quartz gravel, i dont recommend it very highly for any bottom dweller's the stuff is sharp enough to cut your hands while washing it out.

-It also washes out most fishes colour i've found !

The Mary River gravel from most landscape suppliers comes up very nice in fish-tanks after a wash, the stuff comes up magic!@

-The Mary River sand also comes up a treat!!

How much was the black gravel you were looking at the best I've seen it was $20 for 20kg 3mm

That's a good price, where was that?

I have an 8ft'r with 80kg's of black diamond quartz gravel, i dont recommend it very highly for any bottom dweller's the stuff is sharp enough to cut your hands while washing it out.

-It also washes out most fishes colour i've found !

The Mary River gravel from most landscape suppliers comes up very nice in fish-tanks after a wash, the stuff comes up magic!@

-The Mary River sand also comes up a treat!!

Oh, okay.

Sharp isn't good...

Something like this maybe?

https://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=6702

I bought half a bag of Mary River Gravel today just to see how it would look in an aquarium, not too bad but I'm still unsure....