Ok 1st question, is a 4x1x1 high tank 100lt big enough for a sump/wet dry filter for a 6x2x2 planted tank

Question 2, is a wet dry tricle tower filter still considered a sump.

Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_218 using Tapatalk

1. It will be big enough but as always with sumps the bigger the better :) I would personally be looking at something more like a 4x18x18. however in saying that being a planted tank i presume you wont be stocking it to a great extent which will work in your favour.

2. Yes I would certainly still classify them as a sump... they are just sumps that are more suited towards freshwater systems :)

The reason I want to use those dimensions is I already have that size tank here and when I get the base on my 6ft fixed it will be one less expense, it will be stocked with various tetras, shrimp and a couple discus, if the shrimp really take off a few angels

That sump size will work you will need to run a really low water level so it doesn't overflow when the pumps not running.

Even in a planted tank the tetras will eat most of the shrimp before they are big enough to see and the ones that survive will stay hidden.

You would need a couple of hundred shrimp to start off so the population will be self sustaining.

Cheers mick

That sump size will work you will need to run a really low water level so it doesn't overflow when the pumps not running.

Even in a planted tank the tetras will eat most of the shrimp before they are big enough to see and the ones that survive will stay hidden.

You would need a couple of hundred shrimp to start off so the population will be self sustaining.

Cheers mick

hmmm well that sucks lol, I do have another tank I can set up and grow and breed a heap of shrimp before chucking them in

That would be the best way, what type of shrimp are you thinking?

you could put a few pairs in each tank and see how they go, at least if the ones in the big tank get eaten you will have some backup to breed with.

Cheers mick