cameron

dead coral in freshwater tank?

Hey guys i have just setup my new tank and it was previously used for saltwater but as i have no idea what im am doing with salt im going to stay with freshwater.

when i bought it of the previous owner he had heaps of coral (now dead) and also the gravel is a crushed coral type of bead not sure. my concern is that the coral is going to keep raising the Ph level as it was around 7.6-7.8 yesterday and is around 8 today i everything is in the tank except for an airator could this be a factor and I'm going to put electric blues and yellows in it in case someone wanted to know. Also because it was setup for salt when i cleaned it i obviously couldn't get all the dried up salt as it has the background on it is there anyway to tell how much salt would be in the water? Also the water is still a little cloudy alot better from yesterday could the coral cause this? ask if you would like some pictures.

Thanks.

Pictures help but water test results are better.

You need a hydrometer to test salt levels,

Ph 7.5-8 is good for Africans.

How long has the tank been set up?

Has the tank cycled if not I would get the fish out.

Cheers mick

I use dead coral in my African tank and my ph is always around 8. my water did cloud up a bit when I first set it up but I don't know if it was the coral though. a little bit of salt wont hurt them either. cheers

Because of all the dead rotting life inside the coral, you will need to track the levels of ammonia and nitrite.

I would expect it to go cloudy until the good microbes grow on your filter media.

Either that or keep water changing to dilute them.

But yea

1) get ammonia and nitrite test kits. Use them and post results here.

2) get a filter running on that aquarium stat, to take advantage of all the ammonia being removed.

3) once your filter is established the cloudy water bacteria will die out, ammonia and nitrite will read 0ppm, and you will be able to safely add fish.

Ph is a pretty consistent 8 now and there are no fish in the tank atm. it has been running for about 2 days now. the tank currently has a fluval 205 running atm temp average is 23C if you wanted to know. Nitrate No2 not sure had some green tinge to the colour which was indicating 0 ppm and ammonia was 0ppm.

You should have an ammonia reading in about 5 days if theres plenty of dead life in the coral.

Cycling is such fun :D

should it be at 0 for fresh? and im not planning on putting fish in around the end of the week

We always want it at 0ppm, if it gets above 0.5ppm it can start to damage fish eyes and gills.

Ammonia is dangerous at the high pH's that we keep Africans.

Most importantly, we want the filter established so we dont have to do VERY frequent partial water changes to keep the fish alive.

Crazy water changes are the punishment for rushing the stocking of an aquarium.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50685[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]50686[/ATTACH]

nice set up dude, I posted a pic of mine awhile back , the thread is called my African display.

Most importantly, we want the filter established so we dont have to do VERY frequent partial water changes to keep the fish alive.

Crazy water changes are the punishment for rushing the stocking of an aquarium.

I can vouch for that haha