Paul Bingham

Calvus ID White or Black

I would like to know peoples opinions on this pair.

I bought this pair as White Calvus. To me they look like Black Calvus but the yellow in the face confuses me because i see the yellow in the White Calvus.

Anyway what does everyone think?

post-10841-1471163149127_thumb.jpg

post-10841-1471163149142_thumb.jpg

post-10841-14711631491562_thumb.jpg

The dwarf calvus, sumbu is about the whitest. In one of ad konnings books a lot of compressiceps are calvus colouration. I'll dig it up when I get home for you.

Dwarf sumbu is a comp I believe. There is a good reference for the difference between comps and calvus, lots of good locality pictures.

www.suephoto.com

I also like her locality list

www.suephoto.com.

Anyhow I just noticed in the other tread [MENTION=54]HereFishieFishie[/MENTION] also says black along with picture of what a white should look like. There are lots of claims on telling whites, including things like fin dots. I think treat any purchase of whites with doubt until certain, or we will lose them. Same goes with Firefin comps, with colour fed golds, and crosses being sold as the real fish.

unfortunately Altos are not an allowable import so we are stuck with what we have......

Steve

http://www.qldaf.com/forums/african-cichlid-discussion-16/black-congo-white-pearl-calvus-pic-heavy-enjoy-100384/index3.html

GINGERBEER. The second link is very helpful thanks. The third link I'm not sure what to think of it. The more I research Calvus with Australian sources the more I believe there isn't to many people who know much about them. Probly because with limited stock and cross breeding etc. No insult intended by that. I bought the Tanganyiks cichlids Ad Konings book today. The second link and Ad both show examples of Black Congo with yellow faces. I can't find WC whites with any yellow.

Is there anyway to tell for certain? The last thing I want to do is sell on fry from bad stock or as the varriant that they are not. Thanks for your help.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50719[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]50720[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]50722[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]50724[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]50725[/ATTACH]More text...

Thanks for the pics. Which book is this? It seems to have a lot more info than the Tanganika back to the wild one i bought yesterday.

I have been looking for my self as I'm not convinced the whites calvus I got are white I think that they are blacks. So if have screen shot these two pic of youtube first one is alto calvus black and second is alto calvus chaitika the white dots are a lot bigger and fewer then the blacks. They both rock back and forth it's not just the whites.

post-1484-14711633643479_thumb.jpg

post-1484-14711633643644_thumb.jpg