RichardCichlid

Common Pleco red tip tail. Being chewed? Help appreciated

His name is Jerry and I believe he is a common pleco? Please correct me if I am wrong. He hides mostly, but today he made a rare front and center appearance after a water change. I noticed his tail was red at the tip. Is he getting chewed on? Or is he somehow rubbing it against a mostly smooth piece of driftwood? He's easily 7cm bigger than anything else in the tank.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Richard.

post-11842-14711631502396_thumb.jpg

Yeah I was misinformed when I first bought them. I was told the Africans will do fine with the Pleco. Then joined here and read up on everything more and turns out it's not ideal. But they are all doing really quite well, besides this red tail just coming up. The Africans have grown quite a lot rather quickly!

I only have Epsom salts, would that do??

JUst a heads up for all, I lost a few plecos in one tanks using salt to cure some scrapes on a toga from jumping &smashing lid

Depending on how much salt you added to the size of your tank - i doubt the salt killed it. Recommended dose on some packs is 1tbs/20L = approx 1g/L - i would double that for catfish :lol:

People are WAY to scared to use salt (aquarium/rock salt) it's good stuff but you can't add more without some water changes first.

Yeah it was when I was a total newb. Russ gave me the dose & straight after they all got red bellies & died, went back talked to Kim, they agreed salt & plecos don't mix.

Just my experience, we have all learnt a lot along the way. Possibly not the salt I would just be careful, I am pretty ignorant on regards to keeping plecos other than they eat the scraps & poop like no ones business!!

Love salt, it has worked wonders for me with many a fish. :)