Sparky19862

N00b question on Java Fern

Ok I feel like a d!ck asking this but am I wrong in burying the roots/rhizome of my java ferns in the substrate?!? I read that your supposed to tie it to rocks or wood?!? Is this correct? I have been wondering why it doesn't grow real well....

Thanks and please keep the laughing to a dull roar!!

I just attached several pieces to drift wood using super glue. Only use a small amount unlike me haha cause it goes white underwater & looks a little weird. But as the fern grows it will cover it.

How fast does java fern actually grow?? I've always had it partially buried in the substrate however just recently or noted on the underside of a couple of leaves there's what appears to be multiple rhizomes growing out of the leaves themselves?! Does this sound right? If that's the case then it must be alive reasonably well then as it's been buried for nearly a month!

Any other ideas other than superglue???

Best not to bury the rhizome in the substrate as it will rot away over time the same as Anubia and Bulbitis. You can hold it down if it's just some of the roots that you bury though.

Java are much like a hen and chicken fern (i see the puzzled looks already) in that it will grow new plants from it's existing leaves. Even leaves that become detached and float around will very often start to produce new plantlets on them so don't rush to throw them away.

[MENTION=6158]beencees[/MENTION] I could learn a lot from you O wise one... I'll replant it tomorrow onto some lava rock and see how we go.

At least I can dismiss the idea that one of my plants may be morphing into some tentacled plant beast trying to kill my fish!!

You wouldn't be able to tell me also why two leaves on my large amazon sword have a yellow colored spot in them would you?! I'll post a pic to help explain...

Ah grasshopper, in the words of Confucius, "To know what you know and what you do not know, that is true knowledge." Lol!

As for the Swords, i wouldn't worry too much particularly if they have recently been moved from a different environment. In these situations it's normal for older leaves to die off and will display the symptoms you describe when they do. New growth should be on the way and this growth will be acclimatised to your tanks conditions. Best thing to do is cut off the old and dying leaves. This will let the plant use more of it's energy resources for producing new ones ;)

[MENTION=6158]beencees[/MENTION] I did recently remove it and replant it but only from one side of the tank to the other to put in some deeper gravel. When you say trim the dead leaves back, do you mean just the leaf or take the stalk as well??

[MENTION=6434]bluebelle[/MENTION], the java fern was still growing in the substrate by it did grow very very slowly!! It'll be interesting to see how it goes now as I've wedged it between some lava rocks so it's no longer submerged. Did this last night and gave the wisteria and stricta a trim while I was at it!