Bear

Thought i would try this..

I saw this on an American site & thought i would try it.I went to Bunnings a purchased Ozmacote pond ferts. I partially ground them up & put it in to 00 gel capsules. Placed a few around the roots of my plants & they are starting to develop nice dark leaves & are having a growth spurt & a half. The packet recommends replacing every 6 months or so. I am running DIY co2 and using Flourish Excel too.

post-12589-14711631505084_thumb.jpg

post-12589-14711631505281_thumb.jpg

The small tubs of osmocote all contain wetting agents now (might be the blue beads - not sure). The commercial osmocote (20kg bags sold to nurseries) doesn't have the wetting agent. I know some people pick out the blue beads on the basis the old osmocote didn't have them so the aassumption is the blue beads are the wetting agent. I emailed the manufacturer and never got a clear answer. Not suggesting the wetting agent is necessarily toxic... The MSDS is pretty sparse: http://www.everris.com/Files/MSDS/au/03030220.pdf

FWIW the "fish safe" osmocote for ponds plants also has blue beads (I think its just the same stuff stuck into clumps)

I have used osmocote native before for root feeders like amazons and crypts, I have since found the dinodung product much easier and a good mix of nutrients, and also a carded root feeder that I cannot remember it's brand .....

I like easy as a lazy fish keeper......

Keep in mind these are designed for water lillies........ as in very heavy feeders.

Over do it, and you will have the mother of all algae blooms.

How much would you put to be on the safe side roughly say teaspoon per plant. Also how long should that last for as well. Before reapplying.

The Bunnings product (as in pic) are small lumps, ready to be buried, no measuring needed.

I've used them for heavy root feeders like Amazons swords and other Ech.ssp

Never had a problem with algae, that comes from overuse.

The Bunnings product (as in pic) are small lumps, ready to be buried, no measuring needed.

Did you put like roughly say a pinch or more or say teaspoon worth etc

Did you put like roughly say a pinch or more or say teaspoon worth etc

if you read what I've written you'd see the stuff comes in ready to use portions.

To be very clear here is a pic of the actual product

post-6434-1471163192359_thumb.jpg

I hope that answers your question.

The ones I used were a sort of solid molded blue, they didnt look like the ones in your picture that almost look like a bird feeder.