BarryToucher

My rainbows are breeding!

Hey guys,

I put a post up a few weeks back saying that my rainbows are breeding.. Well yeah, I put them in a 2 footer and nothing happened, I got some Africans that had to be separated so put the rainbows back in the community Central tank again.. Now they've laid eggs on a nice rock in the corner, near a filter lol... I'll disable that filter, but my question is, what do I do now?

How long before the fry hatch? I.e, how long before I turn that internal off?

When do I siphon the fry out into a 1footer with a sponge filter?

I'd love to grow these guys out as the parents are gorgeous!

Regards,

Nate.

Pics to follow, my gf is taking them now with her DSLR

Have to separate them, my red rainbows spawn all the time but they're in a community tank. The fry are really really tiny, about a 3rd the size of guppy fry imo.

Only luck i had was by mistake when i left some of my plants in a tank outside, 2 weeks later i had about 10 little fry swimming around. Confused but didn't take long to figure out what they were. I now found out my neon blue dwarfs are spawning but they're in with guppies so have to separate them soon.

Are these Australian or PNG Rainbows, if so, they normally scatter their eggs amongst the plants on in woolen mops provided by the Aquarist. Doubt if they would be eggs from these rainbows. If you are talking about Cichlid Rainbows then this is within all probabilities or maybe from your Africans.

Sorry guys, These are central american rainbow cichlids.

the africans havent been near this tank.

[MENTION=9246]Donny@ageofaquariums[/MENTION] what would you recommend i do mate? haha youve always got good advice :)

Edited by BarryToucher

which is why i posted it in the american cichlid thread... thank you anyway guys.. im just new to breeding, normally id just let nature take its course, but i really like these guys and would love to see some amazing fry :)

edit: please don't think I'm trying to be rude or anything, I love these forums and do not in anyway want to offend anyone :)

Hey Bro,

In my experience breeding central american cichlids, the best bet is to remove any other fish in the tank if you can and let the parents do their own thing. However, if this is not possible your best bet is to wait for the eggs to hatch and the babies to become free swimming (this happens when they have absorbed their yolk sacs) at this stage fill your other tank with water from THEIR tank and put a cycled sponge filter in their. Then siphon the fry into the tank and feed with BBS (Baby-Brine Shrimp) doing 25% water changes every couple of days. Otherwise some keepers remove the eggs and place them in the new tank with an airstone bubbling really close to them to keep the water oxygenated until the babies hatch. A thing to remember though, if this is their first time as parents they are quite likely to eat their own eggs or fry but don't be disheartened because (like you) they are only learning the ropes and will improve each time. Hope this all helps. GOOD LUCK :)

Hey Bro,

In my experience breeding central american cichlids, the best bet is to remove any other fish in the tank if you can and let the parents do their own thing. However, if this is not possible your best bet is to wait for the eggs to hatch and the babies to become free swimming (this happens when they have absorbed their yolk sacs) at this stage fill your other tank with water from THEIR tank and put a cycled sponge filter in their. Then siphon the fry into the tank and feed with BBS (Baby-Brine Shrimp) doing 25% water changes every couple of days. Otherwise some keepers remove the eggs and place them in the new tank with an airstone bubbling really close to them to keep the water oxygenated until the babies hatch. A thing to remember though, if this is their first time as parents they are quite likely to eat their own eggs or fry but don't be disheartened because (like you) they are only learning the ropes and will improve each time. Hope this all helps. GOOD LUCK :)

i was thinking about an egg tumbler?

i have cleaned out the little tiny tank and will siphon in their tank water, i have an already cycled sponge filter ready to go :)

obviously the tiny tank will need some heating?

Heating is a must, an egg tumbler won't really work I don't think as the eggs are attached to a rock, all you really need is a gentle current blowing over them to keep the water moving hence an airstone or small powerhead directed over the eggs...your best to leave them with the parents in my opinion, even if they stuff up they'll make for better parents later if they are allowed to learn, but if you're desperate for fry you can try removing them.

Heating is a must, an egg tumbler won't really work I don't think as the eggs are attached to a rock, all you really need is a gentle current blowing over them to keep the water moving hence an airstone or small powerhead directed over the eggs...your best to leave them with the parents in my opinion, even if they stuff up they'll make for better parents later if they are allowed to learn, but if you're desperate for fry you can try removing them.

not really desperate, but excited :P

Think ill leave them with them and see if they are good or bad parents...

Congratulations! what I am thinking is soon you will be posting " How the hell do I stop these buggers breeding!" had a few of these myself and they just kept at it ... had so much fry we ended up using them for hydroponics! :ranger:

Congratulations! what I am thinking is soon you will be posting " How the hell do I stop these buggers breeding!" had a few of these myself and they just kept at it ... had so much fry we ended up using them for hydroponics! :ranger:

if i cannot sell these on, ill use the fry and the culls as live food for my juvenile Africans, or maybe my adult forest jewel...

So I've stripped all the remaining fry, all now in a fry tank.

Does anyone know how long these guys take to grow, I read somewhere that they take around 2 months to grow to about 2.5cm or 1 inch?

An anyone confirm this?

They are in a 13L tank, would they be better off in a 2 foot tank? Obviously it'll be heated with an air sponge instead of an internal.

Will have pool filter sand as substrate.

They are so tiny lol

Regards,

Nathan