Sparky19862

Ideas choosing the right filter...

Ok I know there's fans out there of the HOB filters but I hate mine!! I have 2 Aqua Clear HOB filters on my shrimp/guppy/rasbora/bumblebee tank and they're sh*t house!! I just don't like how it takes them forever to turn the tank over and they never seem to clear the water up real well!

It's probably more the fact that they don't pick up from the bottom very well as it's a 2x1x2ft tank and I don't want to run extra pipe.

Suggestions on filters? I'm thinking a small canister filter but should I look at ones with UV built in or just standard?!

Thanks!

Luke

Thought that myself but I don't want super flow in the tank because the bumblebees don't like high current, kinda throws them around. So was more leaning towards a small canister so I can tidy the look in the tank.

Found some small canisters but some have UV tubes in them. Not sure on that as I know the shrimp eat the algae on the plants etc and I don't wanna kill that off.

My understanding of UV(correct if wrong) is that is penetrates the outer "shell" of a organism and pathogen and destroys the internal structure, depending of UV strength, thus killing the organism. If you quarantine properly and don't have massive algae and bacterial blooms then I wouldn't think uv totally necessary. Kinda like a extra marketing thing. Has it's uses don't get me wrong but not essential

My understanding of UV(correct if wrong) is that is penetrates the outer "shell" of a organism and pathogen and destroys the internal structure, depending of UV strength, thus killing the organism. If you quarantine properly and don't have massive algae and bacterial blooms then I wouldn't think uv totally necessary. Kinda like a extra marketing thing. Has it's uses don't get me wrong but not essential

I agree unless you are having green algae problems, or have a outdoor poud, saltwater tank or delicate freshwater which makes treating with copper difficult, you do not need a UV sterilizer.

Got no problems with algae or blooming and all fish are fine no parasites so I shouldn't need a UV which is what I thought.

Would like a canister filter purely because of convenience, I don't want to be sticking my hand in the tank all the time to clean a dirty filter etc. that's why I like the canisters. Every so often I'll clean the pipes but otherwise filter maintenance doesn't disturb the tank.

Ok I know there's fans out there of the HOB filters but I hate mine!! I have 2 Aqua Clear HOB filters on my shrimp/guppy/rasbora/bumblebee tank and they're sh*t house!! I just don't like how it takes them forever to turn the tank over and they never seem to clear the water up real well!

It's probably more the fact that they don't pick up from the bottom very well as it's a 2x1x2ft tank and I don't want to run extra pipe.

Suggestions on filters? I'm thinking a small canister filter but should I look at ones with UV built in or just standard?!

Thanks!

Luke

I have 2 aquaclear 30s and am replacing them with an eheim canister

I just didn't like them, as you said they don't clear water that well and i need to clean the prefilter sponge every day to keep flow going

I just didn't like them, as you said they don't clear water that well and i need to clean the prefilter sponge every day to keep flow going

prefilter really does slow them down badly.

Small ones are a bit slow

I am about to get a 110 or at least a 70 cranking tho

woooooooooot

THANKYOU!!! Finally I'm not alone!!

[MENTION=9246]Donny@ageofaquariums[/MENTION], how goods your catching skills? Can you catch 4 HOBs if I throw then at you!! I don't even want to keep them as backups, i hate them!!