BarryToucher

Ideas for stocking a planted tank.

Hey guys,

I've just had a mass extinction of my neon tetras in my planted tank(too much co2)

I've already got a Central American cichlid display tank as well as an African cichlid display tank..

what too next?

i don't want to go tetras again, i want something with personality.

ph is low at 5.5-6 but hardness is still an issue as the tap water here is very hard and alkaline.

was thinking dwarf cichlids, but have heard they are quite difficult to look after?

was also thinking Rainbows and other natives.

throw me some ideas guys, feeling a little down after my mistake, lost 60 neon tetras overnight.

Nate

60 neons.. That would have looked sweet.. Sorry to hear about your tank disaster. So do you mean fish with personality? or a tank that's a bit different?.. I've always quite liked mountain minnows, but for something different I'd love some mosquito rasbora, or galaxy rasbora/celestial danio. As far as personality in fish it's always hard to go past cichlids though. Keyhole or kribensis perhaps.

Apistogramma, I personally love the Fire Red Agassizii (actually yellow, hint of white, purple back, orange tail, awesome lookin fish)

post-9752-1471163151563_thumb.jpg

post-9752-14711631515772_thumb.jpg

Had to steal a couple google shots for ya as I have no pics of my old pair & their fry (lost with a smashed phone & no computer backup). Searching for pics online just made me realise the poor quality of specimens out there. I'm gonna see if I can get a few from the same place I got my first lot as my breeding male was more yellow than white, deep purple back, "so orange they're almost red" fins & a white edging to the dorsal (shone like a light). The blue markings on his face were so predominant I called him "Maori" (face tats...) & his chick "Kiwi" was a beautiful golden yellow with orange fins. The pics I'm seein online aren't too good. Damn, new breeding project, dammit more power, more water changes, need for soft water... Things we fish nuts must do...

Yea keyholes, rams or kribs would go well in that size but maybe just a pair of 1 species. If you get rainbows I've found Boesmani have personalities compared to most other species, love my little neon blue dwarfs tho. You could even continue your love for tetras if you wanted. Definitely get some small plecos tho.

Well I went for a trio of cockatoo cichlids and a pair of borellii cichlids, plus a royal whiptail catfish and a panda Cory. There are two neon survivors, so might just top up my tetra a bit, I run an internal 700lph and an external cheap **** canister that's 1200lph( for cheap ****, it's be runnigdteog for 3-4 years on my oldmans tank before I got it) so can handle a bigger bioload if needed. Might just got a school of another 28-35 neons?