Just bought a little 30ish litre tank and wanted to bread convicts in it. Got given a pair and everything was good.

1-2weeks later and for the last week i had left the lid off about 0.5-1inch for easyer feeding. So i wouldnt have to move the light and lid everytime to feed them.

About 5 mins ago i am at my pc and i hear, pat, pat, pat and i turn around to find the female jumping around after jumping out that 1inch gap. I quickly put her back in and shes fine then i looked next to the tank and found the dead male. He was still alittle bit wet so he must of killed himself only 1-2 hrs ago.

Im quite annoyed. I feel like they dont like me. :(

i had a similar thing happen recently ... ~60litre tank with breeding convicts.. about ~200 fry had got to about 3mm & i would notice occasionally that the mum convict would be freaking out at one side glass near the heater... just swimming round & round madly.

came to feed them one morning & the mum convict had finally found the ~20mm hole in the lid near the heater & jumped out :[

at least i had lots of new female convicts to choose a new breeder female from :P