matt_a

So I'm building a fishroom

After several years without a proper fishroom I have finally decided to bite the bullet and get cracking on a new setup. It may not be the largest or most advanced fishroom out there but I am hoping when I am done it will be something I can be proud of.

I have started this thread for 3 main reasons:

1) To chronicle my efforts (or lack there of) to help keep me motivated

2) To get feedback on fine tuning elements of the build (and hopefully prevent making costly mistakes)

3) To catalog what to do and what not to do for anyone else considering a similar project

I am yet to start the build but I have been busy acquiring materials and am finally at a stage where I can make a start. I will update this thread regularly to show progress but do not expecting anything amazing overnight - the expected build time will be roughly 6 months, time and finances permitting.

My Goals

Be able to breed several different species of cichlids and raise their fry comfortably

Design the system to minimise time spent on maintenance

Keep electrical consumption low (without being a complete miser)

Set out tanks in a way which makes them easy to access/work on

Maintain crystal clear water and optimal conditions for my fish

Attempt to be "display quality" whilst still being a fish room

I will go into more detail at a later date but here is a little more basic info to finish us off:

The room - Approximately 28m2 (4.73m x 5.91m)

The racks - Structural pine frame, dressed with pine on all visible facings

The tanks - 23 glass tanks plus 3 IBCs

Actual "in tank" volume - Approximately 8,000L

Total system volume - Approximately 10,000L (including sump and water held for water changes)

Lighting LED throughout

Heating Reverse cycle air-conditioner

Filtration 6 stage (no in sump filtration)

The basic design is pretty well locked in and I have already started making purchases, but if anyone has any thoughts or advice at any point I'd be more than happy to hear it. If you can help me to prevent mistakes it will save me time and money, which ultimately means more to spend on fish in the end.

That's about it for now. I will probably do a quick sketch of the basic floor plan and post that up later tonight, and hopefully have some progress to show by the end of the weekend.

Thanks for looking!

look forward to watching your progess..

one big mistake i made was not water proofiing the walls as my tanks fill the double garage timber and clading sucks up the water, i will have to re sheet the lower section of the walls when i sell up. if its in a shed your sweet.. their will always be leaks and spill. particular in the first 12 month while getting everything running how you want it.

Ok here is a quick sketch up of the layout. Not 100% to scale but fairly close.

post-237-1471163154708_thumb.jpg

Rack 1

Upper tier - 6 2x2x18

Lower tier - 3 1000L IBCs

Rack 2

Upper tier - 3x2x2 (quarantine/hospital tank)

Lower tier - 3x2x2.5

Rack 3

Upper tier - 1 3x18x8 (fry tank, divided in 4), 1 2x18x18 (dedicated tumbling tank)

Middle tier - 1 3x18x8 (fry tank, divided in 4), 1 2x18x18 (dedicated tumbling tank)

Lower tier - 3 FBF5400 media reactors (ammonia/nitrite, nitrate and polishing), cupboard (bags, food etc)

Rack 4

Upper tier - 7x2.5x3

Lower tier - sump and additional storage

Rack 5

Upper tier - 3x18x18

Middle tier - 3x18x18

Lower tier - 3x18x18

Rack 6

Upper tier - 6x2x18 (could fit 6x3x18 but I am concerned about access)

Middle tier - 2 3x3x18

Lower tier - 4 3x18x18 (endways)

Rack 7

Upper tier - 1000L IBC (water storage for water changes)

Lower tier - Cut down IBC as sump

Area A

Pump & plumbing associated with water changes

HAP-100 air pump

Battery backup system for air pump

Area B

UV Sterilizers (24/7 on tumbling tanks and on quarantine tank as needed)

Circulation pump (Aquael PFN25000)

Prefilter & mech filter (Waterco Multicyclone 16 Ultra)

Area C

Lounge suite (most important thing in the room :P)

Good luck Mate, looking forward to the updates and progress.

It will be slow going for a little while as I am still waiting on a few things from China and more plumbing fittings, but it will start to take shape soon enough.

look forward to watching your progess..

one big mistake i made was not water proofiing the walls as my tanks fill the double garage timber and clading sucks up the water, i will have to re sheet the lower section of the walls when i sell up. if its in a shed your sweet.. their will always be leaks and spill. particular in the first 12 month while getting everything running how you want it.

I'll be covering the back/side/top of each rack will plastic sheeting to hopefully retain most of the humidity within the racks, and quite possibly run a dehumidifier in the room as well. I will wait to see what effect the aircon has first before I splurge on the dehumidifier though.

A few pics of some of the materials that arrived yesterday; a few hundred metres of structural pine, close to a hundred metres of various PVC piping, and ten sheets of gyprock and a few odds and ends.

post-237-14711631547759_thumb.jpg

post-237-14711631548208_thumb.jpg

post-237-14711631548608_thumb.jpg

post-237-14711631548336_thumb.jpg

is the entry into your house? you would not want to have every visit/buyer track though your house..

It is. I thought about a few potential layouts but I ended up deciding that if I need access from outside (moving tanks etc) I can move the couch easy enough, and I don't intend on having buyers come to my address. In any case, the front door to the house is right outside rack #5, as soon as you enter the house you make a sharp left into the garage. The garage is actually 6x6m but the laundry is tacked onto the garage toward the top left of my floorplan. Essentially I will be building a hallway through to the laundry and fishroom. Potentially it would be possible to have people come through without wandering all though the house, but as I said I do not plan on selling to individuals or having unknowns rocking up at my place.

Only a few things...build the stands from steel, last longer, looks better, can use smaller material.

I had a rack sticking out into my fish room, I HATED IT SOOO MUCH....I then had to pull apart my entire room ,and redo the plan, while managing to add 9 more tanks!, now there is 30.,

make the room a place you want to be, somewere you can sit and enjoy all the tanks, from one chair...makes it soo much more worthwhile.

Only a few things...build the stands from steel, last longer, looks better, can use smaller material.

For what its worth I did weigh up the pros and cons of steel versus timber, and for me I came to the conclusion that timber was a winner by a country mile. Of course every situation is different but for me steel offer no advantages and several disadvatages.

I had a rack sticking out into my fish room, I HATED IT SOOO MUCH....I then had to pull apart my entire room ,and redo the plan, while managing to add 9 more tanks!, now there is 30.,

make the room a place you want to be, somewere you can sit and enjoy all the tanks, from one chair...makes it soo much more worthwhile.

Funnily enough to same day that I locked in my order with Bunnings I was doing some work in the garage and stumbled across an alternate layout that would have let me squeeze another couple of thousand litres worth of tanks in, but at the expense of presentation and ease of use. I thought about it some more though and decided that ultimately I was willing to sacrifice some possible tank space in favour of having a more comfortable and enjoyable space as opposed to a maze of racks with tight corridors etc.

All I got up to today was marking out some timber. Tomorrow I will start cutting and hopefully get around to doing some painting. Unfortunately thats about as much as I can do while I wait for a couple more packages to arrive from China.

6x2x18 and 7x2.5x3

Hope these are badass displays to enjoy from the couch!

Can you squeeze in a beer fridge for special occassions (ie the hours that follow finishing up at work)

I like this operation already.

Kudos for documenting and posting it up!

Edited by Donny@ageofaquariums

as i found out today, there is always room for another tank or 20, :)

but i'm saying no more,

chair? lounge? man, thats 3 to 6 more tanks you can have, just saying, :rofl:

It would be 12 3x18x18's fitting perfectly in that space, but sacrifices need to be made.

From the lounge your view points are Rack 4 and Rack 6, and bottom of Rack 4 is a sump.

If I get an invite and bring some beers, I want to sit on the lounge and see fish!

Hmm is there a way of massaging the setup so that all the IBC, sumps, uvs etc are more out of the way. Just thinking while your kicking back on a couch you want to maximise your exposure to the livestock, not IBCs, and sumps...

Also IBCs will stack so you want need to shelve them.

Hmm is there a way of massaging the setup so that all the IBC, sumps, uvs etc are more out of the way. Just thinking while your kicking back on a couch you want to maximise your exposure to the livestock, not IBCs, and sumps...

Also IBCs will stack so you want need to shelve them.

The IBCs for water water changes/sump with be stacked, no rack to support them, but I will be building a timber frame around them and enclosing it with gyprock for aesthetic reasons. In a way it would have been better to put them in a corner to take advantage of wasted space, but where I intend to place them will separate the section with larger tanks and adult colonies from the fry raising section of the room.

The viewpoint from the couch to the IBCs is relatively obscured too which is why I didn't want to place tanks there. Sitting on one side of the couch you will be looking directly at the 7x2.5x3, and on the other side you will be staring directly at the rack with most of the breeding adults. The ends of the couch line up exactly with the end of each rack, so at no point will you be able to look straight ahead and see anything other than tanks.

As for the sump under the 7ft tank, I will be using the standalone cabinet originally built for that tank as it its very sturdy and recladding it with tounge and groove pine to match the rest of the setup. It has 10 100m2 legs under it so placing a tank underneath was not really an option. I also think that having just that one tank visible on that wall will make it more of a focal point. The are "B" on my little floorplan is not that large either (only about 4cm deep). I wanted to use that area for pumps, UVs etc so that it is all hidden out of sight from within the room, but still easily accessible from outside when the garage door is open.

This is the 7ft tank before I collected it from the previous owner. I will pillage the doors and use one in another section of the room, and maybe put 2 back on to the cabinet after it is recladded for some shallow shelving to hold smaller containers of food etc.

21452d1341989976-1200-ltr-7x3-t-x2-5-tank-cabinet-7-3x18x18s-9-tank-rank-much-more-dscn0271-jpg

Look forward to seeing this finished, i myself just starting setting up a fish room, i built my stand out of steel because it took up less room and was more affordable for me, i my self am about to throw black plastic on the back of my rack as i am splahing my walls all the time, don't really wanna have to resheet when i sell lol, i plan to add 3 more racks like it and another across the back wall.

Here's a shot of it.

post-11967-14711631555184_thumb.jpg

The layout of your room is all personal preference although I prefer to place spawning tanks near northern facing windows to catch sunrise if I want to breed tetra's, rainbows and goldfish. I cover the window with 20mm polystyrene which is enough to insulate but allows sun through.

If you want to maximise space, avoid dead corners by removing section 2 tanks and running both your aisle tanks right to the end. I usually use the end of aisle wall to hold narrow shelves for food, nets, buckets, artemia hatchers etc.

50847d1399543978-so-im-building-fishroom-floorplan-jpg

If you use IBC's, it's pretty easy to add a viewing window or keep fish in suspended nets. You can also use megabins which have better top access and shorter sides.

2012-07-15130638.jpg

Edited by aquaholic99