n5750547

Male only genes to get rid of carp in our waterways

I'm sure there are a few things they are going to have to work out before letting this loose. After all, "extremely low" chances of it spreading to non targeted species might not be good enough.

Tapatalk Note 3

Only thing is aren't there some species of fish which will change sex to breed in the absence of females. I don't remember which ones though.

Remember reading that sex changing fish species usually move from female to male rather than from male to female. And that fish which are capable of male to female changes all come from species where every individual fish is born as a male???

If that's right , Carp having males and female juvies .... they might be in trouble

Remember reading that sex changing fish species usually move from female to male rather than from male to female. And that fish which are capable of male to female changes all come from species where every individual fish is born as a male???

If that's right , Carp having males and female juvies .... they might be in trouble

I’m sure if carp (the target fish for this eradication) could change sex they wouldn’t have gotten this fare in the testing, I’m sure it would have been squished in initial stages. These people do have a lot of knowledge and years of research on their pests, there not idiots.

Sure they're not idiots .... but given a number of spectacular biological control failures it doesn't hurts to have a little open forum and discussion.

Stuff like "what other things will cane toads eat" can and does fall between the cracks when left solely to science and government agency.

yeahhh I think there testing is a little bit more stringent then it was in 1935… and the main issue was that the cane beetle the toad was meant to eat sits at the top of the cane where the toad can’t get to it so the toad turned to any and everything else, I agree total f up.

I know for a fact though that CSIRO have to jump through some serious hoops and go through an all angles look when considering how something will go in an environment when introduced to deal with other invasive pests. Biological control of water hyacinth | CSIRO the weevils used in that where tested against any and all plants that they might turn to next to be sure they wouldn’t, I guess they learn from their mistakes. In any case if they had missed that and they could change sex, there test will simply fail and the test fish will still reproduce. That’s just my part in the open forum discussion…