So I have a 3x2x2 as in another of my posts. It has 6 near mature longfin and 3 mature. Also has a trio of blue eye plecos.

Anyway, I've always had larger breeding logs in with them and as soon as I put a smaller one in the male longfin has claimed it, don't want to disturb him to check if there's eggs but he never leaves the cave unguarded. Pops out for 20 second feed then straight back in and defending it. Been like this 8 days now.

Also a female blue eye just continues to sit on top of that log.

Questions are

Do BN get this territorial even without eggs present?

Does the size of the cave matter that much?

And I'm sure these 2 can't mix right?

Thanks

Do BN get this territorial even without eggs present?

Yes the males will cave even without females present.

Does the size of the cave matter that much?

Not as much for bristlenose, but you still want it to be fairly snug. I've had them breed everywhere form UGF uplift tubes (very tight squeeze) to on sandstone (absolutely no squeeze) but your standard "bristlsenose log" seems to be the most reliable.

And I'm sure these 2 can't mix right?

They sure can.

Thanks for the help matt

Yea he's always just dwelled in driftwood but now he has the right cave he isn't letting anyone near it. Figure it is just the more snug fit.

And I guess long fin blue eyes won't be such a bad outcome haha.

Cheers mate

I have bred them and they aren't any harder than the normal brown or albino bristle nose.

The genetics are really screwy though. For example, I have a pair of heterozygous long fin browns and they produce equal amounts of four kinds of fish. Brown normal finned, brown long finned, albino normals and albino longs.

I also had a pair of albino long fins that produced only browns. The fry were 50% normal finned and 50% long finned... go figure.