jcumpstay

Holey rock making water look cloudy?

So i have two tanks about 4m apart in the living room. The 8x2.5x2.5 with Tibetan mountain rock always looks really sharp and the water is crystal clear. Filtration on this big boy consists of 2 x FX6's + 3ft sump. Picture below (without fish as i removed them all today).

8z2.5x2.5.jpg

On the opposite side of the room i have my Tropheus Lufubu tank which is 120cm x 80cm x 80cm and filtration consists of an Eheim Professional 3 2080 canister (basically a sump on wheels). This tank is filled with a heap of Texas Holey rock to help keep the carbonates and pH up and to give the Troph's somewhere to hide & play. Trouble is that the water in this tank since adding the rock seems to always look that bit more drab, dull and slightly cloudy / washed out than the other tank. I'm not sure if it's the way the light reflects off the white rock or something else?

Lufubu+Tank.jpg

Lighting on both tanks is the same (Aquazonic Miracle LEDs) & both tanks have internal wavemakers to help with deadspots and circulation. Both tanks also have the same crushed coral as substrate.

Looking for ideas, suggestions, thoughts as to why the Lufubu tank looks the way it does before i swap the Texas Holey rock to Tibetan mountain rock...

Not quite the answer i was looking for Donny ;-)

Comments like that really just add fuel to the fire that is me wanting to make both tanks look the same with Tibetan Mountain Rock...My back pocket hurts already!

Not quite the answer i was looking for Donny ;-)

Comments like that really just add fuel to the fire that is me wanting to make both tanks look the same with Tibetan Mountain Rock...My back pocket hurts already!

hey mate, just wondering what sort of light you have on that top tank? it looks awesome.

How long has the Texas Holy Rock been in the tank for?

When i added it to my Frontosa Tank i had the problem could try a bag of Chem pure ,to polish the water ,its particles in the water,my glass always needs wiping every week or so gets a film on it as well.

Beautiful setups Mate...

Holey rock has been in tank for about a month now. I get algae film on the glass but not much else. I've got some Chemipure in the cupboard so I'll give it a go. If all fails I could have a heap of Holey rock for sale before too long...

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

Did you wash the holy rock thoroughly before it went in? A lot of crap gets caught in the holes and can take a bit to get out.

Yeah thoroughly pressure washed before adding to tank. Don't think that's the problem...

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

Ok so the cloudiness got the best of me and i have taken the following steps:

1) removed two of the larger dirtier looking pieces of holey rock;

2) did a 50% water change;

3) added recommended doses of both the below pictured products;

4) waited 12 hours

The results were actually quite astonishing. Water now CRYSTAL clear and the fish look HEAPS sharper with the detail "popping" a lot more than it previously did.

Still not sure if the cloudiness was algae or holey rock related so will see what happens in the coming weeks in regards to whether it returns.

Chemicals.jpg

Lufubu_Clear.jpg